Raptor 660 ?s

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drknight77

Reaction score
I recently acquired a black/white raptor 660 that is complete with an extra supposed good engine (the original one was submerged) :tdown: But because of that I was able to acquire this for 300$ :iagree:

I guess what I am getting at is what are the pros and cons of this engine, I see quite a few members with these quads and was wondering what your input/problems have been.

Thanks

Awesome, Well first you got it for a good deal of 300 bucks. Before you decide to put that engine in that frame, Gusset it, Lonestar racing make a gusset kit that really makes the subframe and frame strong. You don't have to do that but it will help out a lot in the long run. some cons to the engine would be the damn starter clutch, and the 01s had some tranny issues. Also the carbs are a pain at first to synch in but after awhile they are simple. What year is it? Also what are your plans with it?

Awesome, Well first you got it for a good deal of 300 bucks. Before you decide to put that engine in that frame, Gusset it, Lonestar racing make a gusset kit that really makes the subframe and frame strong. You don't have to do that but it will help out a lot in the long run. some cons to the engine would be the damn starter clutch, and the 01s had some tranny issues. Also the carbs are a pain at first to synch in but after awhile they are simple. What year is it? Also what are your plans with it?

It's a 2006 just plain 660 I don't know what the r in 660 r means anyways. My plans are just getting it going and maybe replacing the warrior with it but I'm not sure I dont need this much power.. I pulled the old engine and the jug is a rust ball but the piston is actually savable. THEN I pulled the stator cover thinking the starter clutch was bad, but it seems to me they tried to start it up when the cylinder was half rusted so it sheered all six bolts off and I'm not sure how many are still in the engine, I pulled one out and the PO might have pulled the rest but there is no way to tell :argh:

Also the extra engine has a good jug but I found these pieces in the bottom of the case when I pulled the stator cover off.

And this on the clutch side, the clutches are gone, but the outer basket is flawless the inner is shot tho. I'm glad this is the extra motor (the original engine) is still together on that side.

It's probably an '01 or '02. Got any pics of the complete bike?

Like already stated, 2001 models had issues with the transmissions, and the one-ways were crap also. Other than that, they're good, strong, torquey motors. Not the best handling quads, but not terrible. Great for trailriding. :shrug:

I was thinking the same thing, if its black and white its either a 01,02. The 01's have white shocks, the 02s have yellow. But they may have swapped out with other parts its hard to say it being used and all. I have been in the same situation your in. When I bought mine it was a 02 rolling chassis with a 04 motor, completely massacred. I have spent a fortune on mine but damn well worth it, Just salvage as much as you can then the fun begins, BOAT (bust out another thousand) lol. Theres unlimited mods you can do to a 660 a lot of parts are interchangeable from yfzs and the 700's. As far as a good clutch you said you are needing get a Hinson, the gytr's are made by Hinson, So either one is good. I got plenty of spare parts for 660's so after you get it completely broke down, Let me know what you need.

Sorry guys lack of info, I thought they made 660's longer than that. It has 2006 on the fender in light blue and has yellow shock springs I have only had it one day so I will look at the VIN later tonight. As for engine: the stock clutch is shot, discs are broken into tons of pieces, one basket is goo I need the inner its pretty worn, but I have a good jug and 2 good pistons 2 good heads, one good usable starter clutch and two good lower ends(that I can feel so far) how hard is it to separate this engine case? I only found 2 of those 6 starter clutch bolts that got sheared off I need to know for sure they aren't inside there.

I'd figure out what year both engines are, and make one out of two. Obviously you don't want the 01 trans. You're going to need to take them both apart and see what condition they are in overall. Once you know what is what, start building.

I'd figure out what year both engines are, and make one out of two. Obviously you don't want the 01 trans. You're going to need to take them both apart and see what condition they are in overall. Once you know what is what, start building.

OK so the frame is an 02 so how do I find the date on the engine? My spare engine has different crank work that the one from the quad, it has one hole drilled in an odd place IMO on one side of the rod journal (on the crank) and no whole on the other side, and the counter weights have been machined down I'll have to post pic of what I mean. Anyway one engine has seemed to have been gone through, the original one hasn't. I'm still on the fence on if I want to tear into the case on the original engine.

You have to get the engine number off the case and see what it is. May want to get on a Raptor forum. Idk how Yamaha makes up their engine codes. My ATC350X goes by production number on the engine number. IE: ABCD52000-ABCD56789 is 1985, ABCD56790-ABCD62000 1986.

Well I found the # it's M301E-056341 it doesn't help me and I cant find info about it anywhere on what year it is..

Is that the vin# or the case#'s? If its the vin# on the frame then count ten over and that's the year it is, If its the numbers in your cases then the only way to really tell is to call a Yamaha dealer with those serial numbers and they can help you, I found this info out on another forum Im apart of. Hope this helps, Where was the numbers at inside the cases? Im very curious about this myself.

Last edited:
Is that the vin# or the case#'s? If its the vin# on the frame then count ten over and that's the year it is, If its the numbers on your cases then the only way to really tell is to call a Yamaha dealer with those serial numbers and they can help you, I found this info out on another forum Im apart of. Hope this helps,

Thanks beastmode, turns out my spare engine is an 01, my main engine is an 02 :nanner:

And to think I almost put the 01 together and went with it! glad I saw that starter cover bearing and pin in the bottom of the engine or I wouldn't have taken it apart. Everything happens for a reason :slayer:

Back