Ran the 446

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know when I first started mine I thought I better pull the oil plug in the head... holy ****.. the engine started and oil was going everywhere. I didn't expect the engine to start.
I know I like to run it until the engine stutters on the top end then back off one size. I bet jetting with the brock is nice!!
What cam did you go with?

Jay I got the full race Powroll one. Now let me get this right, when you took the oil bolt out, oil was squirting out, because on mine it was seeping out slowly?????

Yeah mine it was running out like fast. I wonder if something is wrong with you oil cooler setup, like if the hole in the middle is plugged ok (in the case)? Or you could put a gauge in the head to see how much pressure your building and compare that with a spec. I suppose though it all depends on how far you had the oil screw out. I had mine back out until I seen the holes so that's also why it was ******* going everywhere. Dave though, that would be the first thing is to make sure your getting good oil flow and pressure to everything.
Holy **** you went with the big dog!! Wow, I'm not going to lie going from 64 degrees of overlap to 80 is going to be a huge increase in power in the mid and top end. If you think it rips now.... you best be holding on to your shorts, man!! She's going to scream.

Dude I had the plug unscrewed all the way out, holding it in my hand, and the oil just ozzed out, not much at all. Mabe it is the oil cooler, I switched from the FST 5/16 rubber hose to -6 braided line and -6 AN fittings.

Hey Jay check it out, mabe the larger line is causing a drop in oil pressure.
Picture176.jpg

Picture177.jpg

Picture178.jpg

Mabe I should do a few oil changes to see if anything got clogged up, what with all the assembling going on, plus all the breakin material, the oil did have a slight matalic look to it.

Dave that's what I run for fittings and lines on my cooler(6 an size wise). I don't run braded hose though.. That looks great! There will be a pressure drop across the cooler but I don't think it would be that much. What weight oil do you run?
I'm looking at the manual right now with the oil circuit. It looks like there is a tube that runs from the oil filter (sounds stupid but maybe the oil filter is in wrong) to the bottom of the base of the cylinder to the oil filter is connected by a tube or a pipe that has to fittings or screws. I wonder if something like that is loose or something. Now looking at the circuit it looks like the pressure drop across the oil cooler would not have an effect on this. It would if you where loosing a bunch of pressure some where. mmmm More like there is a leak somewhere or a obstruction.

I think the first thing I would check would be the oil pump, just to make sure everything is in specs there. I couldn't imagine that oil cooler dropping the pressure much at all, not nearly so much that it would cause the problem you're having. Other than a problem with the oil pump, I can't think of anything other than blocked oil passages, maybe from a gasket being positioned wrong or sealant oozed into it.

Yeah the pressure drop across the oil lines and cooler looks like it would only effect the main bearings. It also looks like if the hole wasn't pluged that oil would just wouldn't flow through the cooler and just bypass it and go right to the crank.... hmmm

another good point that yama brought up was that there might be some sealer that came loose or ozzed out and blocking an oil passage.

Yeah I'm def gonna do an oil change anyway to get the all the break in material out, then run it for a hour or so and do another oil change. I'll assume the oil pump is working if I'm getting oil to the head.

I think we can assume that the oil pump is working... maybe has excessive clearance. Dave when you took your engine appart does the oil pump have a regulator or something to adjust for pressure?
For the the life of me I can't remember if the rocker shafts are pressure lubed or splash? I remember I had to install them with the o-ring out. I'm thinking this is what made your exhaust rocker arm get hard to move... with the excessive heat from not seating the valve and very little oil flow.

how reliable is an engine like that????i heard from a guy that when you start doing that to the 350 the reliability goes down the toilet

He doesn't know a thing about what he's talking about then. Any engine mod puts more stress on the engine. Fact. It's how careful you are putting it together and the extra time to do it right where it counts the most. This plays a huge roll in how long an engine lasts. This 446cc engine will last a long time.. tuning the crank slower, lighter piston then stock.

how reliable is an engine like that????i heard from a guy that when you start doing that to the 350 the reliability goes down the toilet
Dose it really matter anyway, I've rebiult the motor on an avarage of evey three years weather it needed it or not.

Latest posts

Back