Questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbl19

Reaction score
I got some questions for everyone on here. I could probably find the answers somewhere with 177pgs but it kind of looks like the topics go all over the place.

So where do you get and what advantages are you seeing from these oil coolers? looks like that is the thing around here.

Also i see what looks like stock shocks where the springs are painted, how do you get the spring off? (these are probably aftermarket but i cant tell cause im a dumb noob)

And finally why does everyone cut there front fenders off? IMO it is very ugly, no offense to anyone that has done it.

Thanks

Oil cooler does just that......cools the oil. The cooler the oil the easier and better the engine runs. Also help to make it last a tad longer without a rebuild. Its almost a necessity to have done if you do any type of extensive engine mods. The bigger the piston/bore the hotter the engine will become.

The spring can be taken off if you get a spring compressor and back out the compression nut, yet, the warrior ran for many many years and have various different color schemes as well. Different color shocks came off different years o bike most likely.

For looks mainly, I cut mine in the front where the lower black pieces attach so that when I'm chillin on the quad I can rest my boots up on my wheels and also allows for just a tad bit more visibility as to where I'm steering my wheels. I personally think that if cut right they can make the bike look better, not so utility ish.

i get that it cools the oil down, but does it give you any increased power? i have 1989 as you know since you are the only one to reply to my welcome message and as far as i know the motor has never been rebuilt. who knows though. it beats my buddys supposedly 396 warrior. i will let him defend himself if he dares to. he knows the truth. cough cant even beat a blaster...cough

where is the compression nut?

and i cut off where the black peices attach im talking about when people pretty much cut the whole finders off. basically like having no from finders at all.

The oil cooler isn't going to give you more power or make you faster in the same way that dropping in a cam or putting on aftermarket exhaust will, but it can help in a way. When an engine gets too far past it's normal operating temperature the power is going to start dropping off slightly, the oil cooler can assist in keeping it from getting that hot that it starts to lose efficiency. Another bonus, and my main reason for adding the oil cooler, is that it can help with clutch dragging problems. Most warriors have a tendency to start dragging when they get hot, which makes it difficult to find neutral or get it back out of reverse. This happens because the heat will cause the metals and clutch plates to expand which will create excessive friction between them. Cool oil = cooler clutch parts = less dragging.

I think Dean is thinking about some other shock, the stock front shocks do not have any compression nuts holding the spring in. You might be able to remove the spring by compressing it and sliding out the upper retainer from the shaft, I can't remember if the retainer is slotted to do this though, it's been a while since I've had my warrior. Most likely the colors you're seeing are just the different model years changing. Through all the years I bet there's 20 different color combinations for the warrior.

The fenders are a personal preference thing, I don't know what kind of answer you're looking for here, some of us like it and some of us don't. When done right I think cut fenders can look good, sometimes it doesn't look right but some of them look badass that way. Deathshadow's quad looked beastly with the all black fenders and the cut he did, YeOldeTyme's warrior also looked damn good with the cut fenders. I didn't do it myself because I liked the way mine looked with the full fenders, and I end up in the mud a lot so the fenders offer some protection to keep your nostrils from getting plugged up with dirt. I've heard arguments that cut fenders help the quad fly better off jumps because the big stock fenders sort of act as a spoiler and will push the front down and can catch the wind on a rainy day. I don't know if there's much truth behind that or not.

My bad.....Yama's right, the retainer can be removed and the the spring can some off. But most likely the diff colors are form the different years. I was thinking of how the rear is set up and pictured the fronts in my head, miss fire in the brain.

I just got tired of having to work around the big ass fenders and that support bar that runs across the bottom. I accidentally stabbed myself on the corner of that bar too many times. The mud hasn't been an issue since I widened the front end up, most of the mud flings to the sides of me and mostly hits the tops of the rear fenders. It rains so much here I usually wear the msr isde gear anyway. The oil cooler did as everyone else mentioned, keep the temps down for modded motors so the clutch doesn't act up or so the motor doesn't overheat and bog down. Keeping engine oil down 20 deg F cooler will almost double the life of the components such as crank bearings, cams, etc. If you overheat the head too much you risk warping it (as well as the cylinder), and as I learned recently a head replacement is a costly one, close to a $1,000. If the cam gets damaged you won't be able to get a core refund, another damn $120. It never ends lmao

i took all the black peices off my fenders and cut the lip off, i was leaning more towards the people that cut the front fenders completely off.

i recently took my lights off, am planning on getting some round fog lights to mount in the stock location, but it is goofy looking with no lights, so i cut about 4in off the front.

Back