Questions About Adjustable Timing Cam Gear

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duneracerweston

Reaction score
Ok so I've head alittle bit about a adjustable cam timing gear and was wondering were you get them and how they work and how well they work

pretty sure Vitos has them, them allow you to retard ar advance timeing to adjust when your powerband hits. Don't know how well they work, never used one

Megacycle sells them. Dunno how it works, I mean I know that it adjusts your valve sequence but dunno how to set it just right, would like to know thou. Its $66. Part #252-01 vernier adjustable cam sprocket.

Vitos just sells an advance timing key.

jasonp had one it was in one of his posts 4 years back, sadi he was gonna review it but i havent seen anything from search

adjustable cam timing should perform on these small engines exactly like any other. advancing the cam timing in theory should bring powerband in quicker and shift it a little IF the cam isnt ground with enough advance already. aftermarket cams sometimes are cut this way. mostly a trial and error, same as with a racing engine.

trail and error as in psuhing it too far and slamming your piston into your valve lol. whatever you do with it oncee you get it id say pull the lpug and trun it over by hand too make sure nothing hits

Well either bent valves or busted piston, or even a bent connecting rod to go with bent valves and a busted piston.

Ok so dose any one have a idea what the max advanced timing before predetination ???? And wether it would b better to just do the flywheel key?

No problem man, any time!

Yup you really should put some heavier springs in there. It's bigger then both the cams they recomend those parts for! You might see a gain in performance.

Yeah hot cams is not very smart for putting the spec's in mm so it is very confusing when converting over to inches. I know that just from my engine data software and trying to put in the spec's.
Yeah I bet is is loud as a MFer! haha
The spec's are 10mm?

You could also advance the cam timing and get some more low end torque and hp... 7 to 5 degrees would work great.

this is from the wanted section

I've seen the degree key I don't trust it

course ya dont lol, you seems so picky with some stuff lol. but a way you could figure out the farthest you would be able to go is by puting you quad at tdc removing the cam chain and rotating the cam untill the valves touches the piston and marking the spot on the head and meausuring the degrees, that would work right?

course ya dont lol, you seems so picky with some stuff lol. but a way you could figure out the farthest you would be able to go is by puting you quad at tdc removing the cam chain and rotating the cam untill the valves touches the piston and marking the spot on the head and meausuring the degrees, that would work right?

In theory it should kinda like when you degree a cam or crank on a car motor, you can see how far you could take it, but would see like alot of work, but would be better that way then by trial and bad error. You could make your own degree wheel to put on the cam and make a fixed spot to measure from.

Back