Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorguy5

Reaction score
I have a question and Know it has been asked countless amounts of times. If i buy +2 aarms will it be ok to run yfz shocks. I Know it is a bad idea too run them on your stock arms because the Chance of failure on tour ball joints. But now because i would have the extra width would there be not a much stress on them or none. I am open to suggestions because i would love aftermarket shocks but money is an issue. If there are any other shocks out there that will fit and give me and improvement from my stocks let me know.

~Eddie

I think when your referring to yfz you mean the yfz350 aka banshee. I don't believe the 450 shocks will fit unless you do some fab work. With the banshee shocks I know (now) they are stiffer then our stock ones, and they are like an inch longer, so they have to be forced in. But I am not sure if they are stiff enough to compensate for +2 a arms.
Sorry I can't be of any more help. Someone else was interested in swapping in some 450 shocks, and may be looking at doing the fab work to make them fit, I'll try to find the name, and see if they can help you out any more, if they looked into it yet.
This is who you should ask, see if Pelphrey has found anything out about them.

Jul 24, 2006, 8:04pm, Pelphrey wrote:I know they won't bolt right up, but thought about possibly shaving the stock brackets off and making new ones that will allow these shocks to work. But thats still up in the air.

To get the lower mounts you may be able to grab a set of lower a-arms, and have the mounting area cut out and fabbed onto warrior lower a-arms. For the uppers, if you can find someone parting out a 450 see if they kinked up their frame, if so see if you can get it for cheap for the upper mounts...
~Bill
~Bill

are you sure that the banshee shocks are an inch longer? i asked the guy that i bought my rear shock from to measure his stock fronts and i think he said they were 14 1/2 (i will have to check my old emails to be sure). arent the warrior fronts that length? i'm going by what i've seen them say on ebay. i think the raptor shocks are 15 1/2 though, and i think the 450 shocks are even longer than those. there is someone on here that has put the 450 shocks on. i'll have to find his post.

i was talking about the 450 shocks. are the banshee aarms the same as the warrior because i found a couple good deals on some nice arms.

Yea I think it's JCC has them on but he also has bought a bracket off of ebay to make them fit, as well as widen the front end. Some see the bracket as a drawback, since it mounts the shocks straight up and down, which they say is not ideal for jumping, and not designed for how th shock is supposed to travel.
As far as the front banshee shocks, Yea, I believe they are around one inch longer, which is why they put the added stress on the ball joints. When they aren't bearing any load, the ball joints are at full flex, and trying to flex a little more then they are allowed to by stock positioning, threfore putting a constant strain on them unless there is weight on the front end, ei. a rider.
Again If I'm wrong, someone correct me since I don't want to give out any info that is incorrect.
~Bill

here is what the guy sent me when i asked him about his banshee fronts. i have no idea what the length is on the warrior fronts.....

Sorry for the delay but couldn't check right awawy....My banshee fronts that are sitting on the tool bench are eye to eye center 14 1/2 inches. I would offer them you to you but i promised the to a friend that is in england for a few more days........

this is what one ebay company told me about the yfz450 fronts..........

They are 15 3/4 inches eye to eye. Thanks and hopefully they will work for your application

Powerhouse ATV and Cycle

http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=pictures&action=display&thread=1143954074
thats the link to the pics of the 450 conversion.

and the reviews/steps
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=reviews&action=display&thread=1143954535
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=reviews&action=display&thread=1143954803
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=reviews&action=display&thread=1143955136
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=reviews&action=display&thread=1143955529

i dont mean to tick anyone off but as much as you would spend on that conversion, you could almost buy a new set of elka recreational shocks and have a set of shocks that are made to work with your particular setup. of course you wouldnt be able to get the rezzies with them, but you can always add them later. the yfz conversion would probably give you a softer ride. if you think about pushing down on a spring that is vertical, all of the force is going straight down. if the shock is angled to the side, some of the force is going horizontal and vertical therefore causing more effort to get the same result. follow? i only have my stock a-arms but ordered the honda style tie rods and ends this weekend. i have my wheels flipped and am considering a set of banshee shocks. hopefully the heavier duty rods and ends will hold up to the additional stress. another thing that i hope will help that i am planning on buying is a steering stabilizer. sorry i went off on a tangent. anyway, i hope i didnt tick anyone off for my opinion.

The YFZ 450 shocks are a lot longer than the stockers.Much more than +2 arms can handle(but you can get some companys to move out the bottom mounts to help with that).The problem is with the upper mounts.Toyota 4x4 rockcrawler guys always move their upper shock mounts up,or even some torch of the stock mounts and weld on Ford 250 upper shock mounts.What this does is give you a longer shock,greatly helping longer travel.The other part of it is in the spring.Progressive rate springs like YFZ 450 or Elka,etc.shocks alow for more travel and a better ride.
shockcompare.jpg

The fact that I cant get extended a-arms for my 87 for any less than $750 :-X :-X.made the conversion I did a no-brainer for me.
Plus I still "needed" better shocks(even more $$)My budget would not allow that.So I spent $240.........

So far,so good,I love the plush ride and the front is holding up real well to the abuse ;D

dang, i keep forgetting that you have an 87. i dont blame you for doing your mod. i'm all for modifications if they are done right and dont look like someone just threw some **** together and didnt worry about quality. 240 isnt bad for your mod. the yfz shocks are obviously a major upgrade.

I was thinking about doing the 450 shocks. But realized in my case I could even get works with rez for 500 and the yfz shocks don't usually sell for less then 250 that I've seen. Plus the work that would be involved.

For some reason the price of YFZ shocks has gone way up-I think that is because people are putting them on the Raptor 660 and 700.

Dose Any one Know if Banshee aarms will work on the warrior are they different ??

i Know the Yfz shocks are now out of the picture. andd theres know way i would buy that ebay setup ( NO offence jcccruiser78) I Personally just dont like the setup.

Back