Put the Z400 carb on my warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebyte

Reaction score
The jets are as follows:
155 Main
60 air jet
22.5 pilot
This is what came stock on the carb when I bought it off ebay. Hell of a deal too 93.00 with shipping and the best part is it came with a cable, thumb throttle, chock cable, and no tps (already blocked from factory) :cool:.
I gave it a mild cleaning and found a piece of dirt blocking the pilot completly. I hope the guy didnt sell the carb cause his pilot was clogged ;D The carb itself looks imaculate and its a 2004.

The mods:
10.5:1 Weisco
.040 over bore
new valves
New springs
mild port
Stock pipe without baffle

Before putting the carb on I replaced the chock cable with a knob $23.00 at Carb Parts Warehouse down the street.
I put the carb on and it fired right up with the chock on. As soon as I took the chock off it spit out through the carb and stalled.... I unscrewed the idle mix and it got a little bit better but still poped through the carb and stalled. Actually sounded like a vacume leak but could not pin point it cause of all new gaskets, so I ignored the posibility. Fiddled with it for .5 hour and desided to take the carb apart and see if the pilot was clogged again. It wasnt so I look at the stock warrior manual and the pilot is a 42.5 so I said OK I need a new pilot..
Well I took another look at this site and found out that I was supose to block the port leading staight to the intake :-[ (vacume leak) :-[ . Well I'm going to go to the CPW any way and get a couple of jets for the main. I may be a little rich due to the stock warrior main being 145 and the stock main for this carb is 155.

Read my guide. A good starting point for the main is 1 size down from stock, you should get a 25 pilot too, just in case.

I put the carb back on with the vacume port blocked and it ran a lot better with the chock off.
I had to adjust the mixture screw about 5 turns out. Of course th e air box was off at the time of adjustment so I figure with the air cleaner on I will have to adjust around maybe 4 turns out.
As far as fitting the carb to the air box I went to home depo and bought a curved 2 inch pvc pipe with a rubber transition and three clamps. I cut the pvc to fit the shape of the curve to the air box, cut my stock boot in half joined the two and vuala air intak completed withthe cost of $6.00 and now I dont have to worry about streching the boot to fit the back of the carb and posibly hindering air flow.
It starts and runs fine with the stock jets in but will have to furture inspect spark plug at WOT under load. Need le is in the third slot from the top (stock).
I also ordered a hot cam stage one it will be here just in time for the trip to PA.

Well it has to do something cause it runs better with the screw turned out that many times. I tried a 27.5 pilot today and now it is at 4 turns out.

snakebyte said:
Well it has to do something cause it runs better with the screw turned out that many times. I tried a 27.5 pilot today and now it is at 4 turns out.

Mad cow is right, the fuel screw has very little effect on mixture strength after 3.5 turns out.
Go up on the pilot or down on the air jet until you achive your 3.5 to 1/4 out on the fuel screw then go from there. This is the first thing you should tune before anything else on the carb otherwise everything else will be out.

Back