Pull/Push Starting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinky0099

Reaction score
Now that I finally have my starting problem figured out sumthing else just popped in my head. Up untill now I had to start my bike by push or pull starting my bike. So my question is...........When push starting a Warrior is it common to have the back tires lock up and drag instead of turn the engine over? I'm thinking I might have a high comp. piston but not really sure. Even on pavment and in any gear the back tires would usually just lock up. Anyways just wondering if this is normal or not? Thanks for all the help ;D

really depends on what tires your using, terrain your on, and so on, usually the tires will drag a little before they break loose and pop the engine to life, also depends where the piston is located in the cylinder and the compression that is built up in there

I always stand up then just before i let the clutch out jump down and land on the seat. works like a charm.

yep do what DSWwarrior said, when you slam down on the seat your weight forces the tires into the ground and they will turn. ive seen guys on harleys turn their motor doing it.

Yeah even doing that usually doesnt work the only thing that works is to hit the start button just before I pop the clutch. Funny story I almost rolled my bike on pavement my buddy was pulling my with his truck going about 30 m.p.h. when he slowed down I acidentally drove over the tow rope then he took off again. The strap wrapped around my a arms and was pulling me side ways down the street.

Let me ask you a dumb question, what gear do you have it in when you try to start it? That might be why the pull starting wont work.

Are you being serious lucasislight??? I hope not... Try 5th or 6th if you want it to start. You can do 4th but 5th or 6th works better. I've had to do some coast starting lately because of a bad fuse but got that fixed today.

whatever gear i should be in depending on the speed before i pop start it is what i use, if your trying to pop start it going 30 + then yeah use 4th or 5th. if your going 5-10 use first or second.

lol well you do what you think is right but using 4th-6th while going slow makes the wheels roll with less force when you pop the clutch thus making it start easier.

its a horse a piece in my opinion, if your popping it in sixth, the wheels should hook up better becasue they turn more to due to the higher gearing and the engine turns less, in first the engine would move more, but seem harder because it is traveling farther in the cylinder than it would in 6th gear, but cuasing the engine to have a better chance of starting due to the greater movement.

in first the engine would move more, but seem harder because it is traveling farther in the cylinder than it would in 6th gear,

I dont know what you meant by that, but the piston isnt going to mover farther in the cylinder in one gear than another gear.
Due to gearing the engine will turn over easier in a higher gear.
This is why some of the guys, including me will use 3rd or 4th instead of 1st.
For example at 2 or 3 miles per hour pushing speed in 1st gear you might turn the engine over 2 or 3 times but due gearing at the same speed you might turn the engine over 6 or 8 times.

[quote:vuntuz93]

in first the engine would move more, but seem harder because it is traveling farther in the cylinder than it would in 6th gear,

I dont know what you meant by that, but the piston isnt going to mover farther in the cylinder in one gear than another gear.
Due to gearing the engine will turn over easier in a higher gear.
This is why some of the guys, including me will use 3rd or 4th instead of 1st.
For example at 2 or 3 miles per hour pushing speed in 1st gear you might turn the engine over 2 or 3 times but due gearing at the same speed you might turn the engine over 6 or 8 times.
[/quote:vuntuz93]
thats what i was trying to say, not meaning stroke is different but that overall it would turn over more

For me it has to be 6th gear.. and even then you better put all your weight into it.

Finally someone that agrees, I dont know how everyone else does it in first...oh well. long as it works i guess.

My warrior has always started easy, few flicks of the accel pump and a quick push and with a little throttle always fires up. The motor only has to turn a couple times and its running. Good or bad idk.

Back