Project SuperStock 2.0

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexMarioth

Reaction score
This is gonna be a loooong thread because i have big plans for this thing. but so far heres what i have and heres what i want to doreceived_6797197563736043.jpegHere is how it sits as of now. So far everything to do with the motor has been ordered and this thing should be running by next week (weather permitting 🤣). Niche Top end Kit, NGK plug, New Timing chain and sliders. And a used but tight oem Crank from a 1992 Warrior. What i need to get is a New Rear Brake caliper and maybe a master cylinder its never had good brakes so i dont know if its any good. I also want to get an Oil cooler down the line just due to the hot tempered nature this motor has been. I also have an exhaust that i want to potentially fab up for it. i believe its an older white brothers Exhaust ill have to post a picture when i can. But as a Introduction post i believe i have covered everything.

Alright stage 1 is almost complete. had issues with the idler gear pitted part of the crankshaft but that was sanded down and the flywheel could be installed next up is to fix the major leakage coming from both sides of the case (stator and clutch side) which im gonig to boil down to cheap gaskets, and hopefully nothing more because i do not want to split the cases again. i will attach a picture or maybe even a video when i get it running which i plan to do later today.

biiiiiig progress made yesterday. for the first time since march the starter turned the motor over on its own power, but im not done yet. Now its time to hook up all the grounds and i have to tune the carburetor to compensate for the smaller port size of the big bear head that is on it now (the cheapy cam that was in the other head i had had sheared the lip for the sprocket right off, cam was junk anyway it chewed both lobes down like 3 thousandths.). But I am starting to smell a completed project here, potentially even tonight! Ill try to keep updated.

Nice work man, keeping another old sport quad alive and kicking!
Any other plans once it's back together?

Nice work man, keeping another old sport quad alive and kicking!
Any other plans once it's back together?
Thanks, and i plan on making it to both the warrior rides this year, hopefully badlands but thats quite a drive, my biggest plan is to hopefully find some oem side panels with the 2008 decals and a red front piece to make it look like factory again, and maybe do some power mods depending on how long i keep this thing.

Another slowdown. The camshaft out of the big bear head i was running shredded all the pins off. this was due to the rockers locking up (which was the concerning noise i was getting). luckily it only slightly pitted the top of the piston so im just gonna run it because i have no money. im gonna have to end up buying one of those cheapy niche cams and hope it makes it long enough to at least get to the badlands. at least thats the plan. if not i might end up parting ways with the machine cause its getting tiring

Another slowdown. The camshaft out of the big bear head i was running shredded all the pins off. this was due to the rockers locking up (which was the concerning noise i was getting). luckily it only slightly pitted the top of the piston so im just gonna run it because i have no money. im gonna have to end up buying one of those cheapy niche cams and hope it makes it long enough to at least get to the badlands. at least thats the plan. if not i might end up parting ways with the machine cause its getting tiring
Sorry but you can't keep cheaping out or else this is going to keep happening. The niche cams are garbage too. I've seen them flatten the lobes and take out the rockers too many times.

Last edited:
Sorry but you can't keep cheaping out or else this is going to keep happening. The niche cams are garbage too. I've seen them flatten the lines and take out the rockers too many times.
well sadly as a 17 yr old doesnt even have a paying job at the moment. I can only do what I can do. if I bought the good stuff, I wouldnt have a running bike until the end of the riding season.

I been there man, it's a tough time cutting your teeth on a mechanical project with a pocket change budget. Damn, how many times i had to redo a project because i used bad parts or better yet i put it together all wrong... well it is valuable lessons if nothing else. Doing an engine rebuild at 17 is impressive man, even if it isn't exactly working out
Looks like you already had a cheap cam go bad on you, might be better to find a good used oem one. Also since your valves kissed the piston, sadly you might want to do the valves too. Even if they close tight and seal alot of times the valve head will still be a bit bent, and the force if the valve spring will be bending it back as it pulls the head into the seat. Eventually that tiny movement will turn into a huge problem. That's one learned the hard way, btw
The piston, if it's just got the little pits will likely be fine, just make sure to sand down the sharp edges where it hit

I been there man, it's a tough time cutting your teeth on a mechanical project with a pocket change budget. Damn, how many times i had to redo a project because i used bad parts or better yet i put it together all wrong... well it is valuable lessons if nothing else. Doing an engine rebuild at 17 is impressive man, even if it isn't exactly working out
Looks like you already had a cheap cam go bad on you, might be better to find a good used oem one. Also since your valves kissed the piston, sadly you might want to do the valves too. Even if they close tight and seal alot of times the valve head will still be a bit bent, and the force if the valve spring will be bending it back as it pulls the head into the seat. Eventually that tiny movement will turn into a huge problem. That's one learned the hard way, btw
The piston, if it's just got the little pits will likely be fine, just make sure to sand down the sharp edges where it hit
yeah im really lucky and have a head that i know is good (because its the one i ran the past 2 years before the cam in that motor went bad). i just needed a cam for it (btw the cam that was in it was an oem big bear cam). hopefully it will be running again next week. I will not make the mistake of not checking the parts first and i deffinently want to build the head out when i get some money cobbled up for it. i wanna go kibblewhite on the valves and hotcams stage 2 to prepare for a big bore down the line.

So thought id update whilst I can, As of now i have ordered a Niche performance camshaft, im not planning on using this cam in the long run but it will work for now, in the future i would like to do a full head build with kibblewhite valves and heavy springs, with a webcam .390 to boost the power a little. I also have a pipe that i want to retrofit on to my bike to spice up the sound a little bit, i think its a White brothers im not sure i can send a picture when i have it. For now i have to wait till tomorrow to get the cam in the mail and i will update from there.

Im honestly about ready to give up on this project and just wait till I get a job, everytime i try to get somewhere this bike just sets me back and lets me down. just got the cam in to realize it doesnt even fit. This is gonna be the last update for a while.

welp. today is a sad day that may potentially mark the official end of this project. i will have to update later. but this wont be the end of my time on this forum as i will have to pick up another 350 some time in the future as i love this platform and know so much about these machines. just for now its not financially feesable.

Latest posts

Back