Project 87 Warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba9801

Reaction score
ok so I am building an 87 warrior.
It was in running but poor shape. It was smoking like crazy and after disassemble we found .008 wear in the cylinder. So a new Weisco .020 piston is going in. The plastics were all cut for racing so we took them off and I have plastics from a 90-up style we are going to use. Also the headlight and taillights were gone so also we will use the 90-up ones. I know I will have to make a bracket to make the headlights fit but everything else looks like it will fit pretty well. The bike frame was blue, with blue & white plastics. I really should have taken a before picture. Anyway I will post up some new pics of what it looks like now. The frame is painted along with some other components and it is starting to go back together. I just got my cylinder back from the machine shop so I hope to put the engine back together this week.

Full parts list so far:

Frame Paint - Citrone Yellow (Original Muscle Mopar Color)
Powder Coated Swingarm & Grab Bar - Gloss Black

Weisco .020 Piston Kit
K&S Top End Gasket Set
MSD Ignition Coil
Accel 8.8 Ignition Wire
NGK DR8EA Spark Plug
K&N Filter w/Outerwears
Custom Air Box Lid W/Outerwears
White Brothers Mikuni VM36 Carb Kit
HMF Slip-On
New Yamaha Engine Recoil Pull Start Assembly

MSR Handlebars
ProTaper Pillow Top Grips
Moose Competition Brake Levers
Motion Pro Throttle Cable 01-0647
Motion Pro Clutch Cable
EZ Pull Clutck Lever & Perch
Modified IMS Flightline YZ250 Shift Lever

Diamond J Customs Front Widening and Shock Conversion Kit +6.0"
Honda 400EX Front Shocks
American Stars MX Star Chromoly Tie Rods +3
Gibson Steering Stabilizer
01 Warrior stock Rear Shock
All Balls Swing-arm Bearing Kit

DID 520 O-Ring Chain - 100 Link
PBI 13 Tooth Front / 42 Tooth Rear Sprockets
ITP T-9 Pro Series Baja Rear Wheels Black 4/115 9x9 3.0+6.0
ITP T-9 Pro Series Front Wheel 4/156 10x5 2.0+3.0
Maxxis Razr 20x11x9 Rears
ITP Holeshot MXR6 20x6x10 Fronts

EBC Rear Brake Pads
ECA Parking Brake Block Off Plate

90-up Plastics, Front Bumper & Headlight Assembly
Diamond Plate Body Skid Pad
Armadillo Swing-arm Skid Plate
Jarden Nerf Bars
Custom Covered Seat
2005 Raptor Heel Guards
Interstate Battery
Custom Over-sized Battery Cables

Pics
:)

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01307.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

DSC01312.jpg

DSC01311.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

First off, Welcome to the site!

That's hell of a start you got there and Damn that frame is YELLOW!! Your front end look heavy as all hell! What that MSD ignition coil off of/sold for? Lookin good so far. Keep us in the loop once its done.

hmmm is that the cdi up front? is that where is goes on that year??? learn something new everyday i guess

btw looks great!... that baby is going to stand out!

Thanks alot.
I will post up some more pics tomorrow.
Progress is going well so far. I put on the pegs & Nerfs today. I also have just about all the wiring finished. I really just need to finish making up the new battery cables.
I still have to go over the carb and figure out a way to mount the headlight. Other than that I am just waiting for parts to show up in the mail.
That is where the CDI box was when I got it. As for the MSD coil it is a MSD Power Sports Pro Coil
http://www.msdpowersports.com/coils.html
The only things I am still looking for are some nice heel guards. Does anyone make any type of aftermarket ones or should I be looking for a good used set?
As for the front end, it does not seem heavy to me and the longer Honda shocks make it feel very nice so far.
I guess we will see once I can actually ride it.
I am hoping to have it all done in a week or so if all goes as planned.

Shifter Pics - IMS Flightline YZ250
I had to rebend this shifter in my press to allow it to clear the recoil pull starter. Fits perfect now.

DSC01428.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

^ You obviously don't ride with ridin boots on, do you? There is no angle to the the shifer in relation to the top of the peg. On the up shift how close does the shifter some to the bottom of the pull?

The bike is my wife's and she has small feet, She wears regular boots (Timberland) when she rides. The shifter clears the recoil pull start by a 1/2"

Of coarse the bike has not been ridden yet. This weekend will be the real test to see how well it works.

Worst case is I have to cut it and weld it to make it a little longer if need be.

OK Finally some finished pics. It still does not run but at least it is a complete bike now. It looks as though my cdi box is bad so I am waiting for one to come. Then I hope I will finally be able to ride this thing. :)

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

Looks great man! Whos got the whit and black one. And is that a blow up doll on the washer in the corner? Hahhahah

The white one is my friend Jay's. It is a 2002. I will take some pics of it tomorrow.
And yes that is a blow up doll, it was a gag gift for a friends birthday a couple weeks ago :)

ba9801 said:
it was a gag gift for a friends birthday a couple weeks ago :)

yeah right, ive heard that one before! ::)

looks awesome man... i really like stuff that is one of a kind... thats part of the reason im still rocking the 94 purple plastic, its not red or camo like the rest of the people i ride with....

Back