Problems with my 490. (Could use some help)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathius

Reaction score
So I have been riding my 490, and it started running like ****.
I found out it was just a bad reed gasket.. No big deal..
Fixed it, and now I can't get it to run? I have a strong spark, and the carb is in good shape...

I tried to pull start it, but it turns over once then kicks out of gear.. I don't know why?? This is where I'm confused....

So my question is why would the trans slip when trying to pull start the quad. But it locks up tight when it's running, or sitting still.. It has a brand new EBC clutch, and HD springs.. It has tons of clamping force!
I'm really drawing a blank as to what the fack is going on here??

HELP.. :???:

Your having a problem with fuel delivery, so I would say you have an air leak somewhere. Are your reeds seating well? Have you cleaned the carb?
If yes to all those do a leak down test.
Pressurize it to 10psi If it looses more than 1 psi a minute,
Time to tear it down and replace the crank seals and gaskets
As for the push starting problem, I have no idea

Last edited:
I'AM THE LEAK DOWN MASTER!! LMAO
I did a leak down on it, and it actually holds pressure now.. It doesn't even bleed down!!
It has new seals all threw it, and only has about 10 hours on the complete rebuild.
The carb is spotless!! Newer coil, sparks like lightening..

I'AM THE LEAK DOWN MASTER!! LMAO
I did a leak down on it, and it actually holds pressure now.. It doesn't even bleed down!!
It has new seals all threw it, and only has about 10 hours on the complete rebuild.
The carb is spotless!! Newer coil, sparks like lightening..

Check your mag it might have sheared a key.. Trying to pop start that 490 it wont take much to shear that key..

Key on the mag is good. Is there any other keys that could have sheared? Maybe in the trans??

Nah..if you put gas in the cylinder does it pop over you might have stator problem even though you said it gets good spark..

I'm with Jeffy on this one because that would be my next move so test the stator and let us know. I had a blaster that ran like crap but ended up shearing the flywheel key and fried out the stator

So it would start and run with the bad gasket? If that is the case, it was running lean, now it won't start, so the A/F is now richer. I would change the plug for good measure, and remove the air box lid if you have one, and see if it starts. If you don't, get more air to the engine somehow, and see what happens.

So I got the 490 running today just to find out my clutch is slipping really bad.. Well WTF???
So I tear it apart to find out my fiber plates are wore down to nothing?? It's a brand new clutch!!!
I will never ever buy a barnet clutch again.....
I got 2 runs out of it, and I think that bump starting it might have killed the plates. But this is a damn greek tragedy!!
Looks like I have to crack open my back up EBC MX clutch.. Which was half the price of the barnet clutch BTW.

So I got the 490 running today just to find out my clutch is slipping really bad.. Well WTF???
So I tear it apart to find out my fiber plates are wore down to nothing?? It's a brand new clutch!!!
I will never ever buy a barnet clutch again.....
I got 2 runs out of it, and I think that bump starting it might have killed the plates. But this is a damn greek tragedy!!
Looks like I have to crack open my back up EBC MX clutch.. Which was half the price of the barnet clutch BTW.

Im sure it wasnt just the clutch I use barnet and have never had a problem with there clutchs..

It just looks like its wore out already? I dunno why it would be, but ya. Time for a new clutch.
It coulda been that the springs in that kit just weren't stiff enuf for the extra weight of the quad? The EBC springs are 15% stiffer than stock, I'm gonna install it tomorrow.

Back