Problem . . . Help Please?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distend

Reaction score
Just replaced my clutch case gasket last week and now I have no problems. I go out riding for like 5 hours today and now I have a little leak on the other side of my engine about where my oil filter is. I am not too sure since I am a n00b what this part of the wheeler is called but its the bigger casing on that side. Its leaking out of one of the bolts but its tight so it might be that gasket if there is one on that side? I hope this isnt my riding (operator error) that this stuff is going wrong like this. Can someone help me though? Input is def. needed . . . . :-[

Is it leaking out in the center where the two case halfs meet? Or is it actually along the left side of the motor?

It is along that whole casing on the opposite side of the clutch case where it connects to the motor. It seems to be coming out one of the bolts unless its just leaking from the top of that point and sliding into that groove where the bolt is

So you work on one side and then the other starts leaking??...thats a hard call my friend..you didnt loosen anything on that side?.....

Wash her up real nice and take the machine back out..but this time start to finish watch that side and see if you can trace it??....not really sure what you would do..besides just drain the oil back out and slap a new gasket on that side as well.

Ok sounds like a plan. I will wash it good today before I go out. Anything I should know when/if I sould have to replace that gasket before taking off that casing?

Just as any other gasket change...be careful...lol, make sure you wont need any other gaskets.....just remember you are having a problem with a leak..it could be many things so dont ride her to hard till you can come close enough to figure out exactly what is happening...you dont want to damage anything hardcore!!!

Clean her up well, Check your oil level before you ride, then go out and see where its coming from. After you figure that out just put on a new gasket - factory paper gaskets ******* suck.

Just make sure you scrape all the old gasket off well and torque all bolts down correctly.

Ok washed her up good and rode for about a mile. When i stopped back at my house noticed oil leaking from one of the top bolts on the left side of the casing. Its the main casing that doesnt use an allen wrench like the oil filter and the other outter cover, but the actual bolt. I am not sure what this part is called so could someone give me a hand so I can order the gasket somewhere. Also any suggestions when taking it off, should I just be able to take it off once I empty out all the oil and get old gasket off, dry/scrape/clean, and put the new one on or is there more to it? help ????

Pics would help... im thinking u have the same prob as me as i have just found out mines doing it... is it right were the plug is coming in the motor on the bottom? ill get some pics of mine...

I am at college now and my wheeler is at home. I will search for a pic of a warrior and edit it to show where the leak is. Thanks for the help so far guys. Greatly appreciated, just a few mins to find a good pic . . .

Here I hope this pic helps . . . Best I could find online thanks to YamaRider . . . Again it seems/appears that the leak is coming from that bolt. After riding there was oil from the bolt in that grooved area, not exactly along where the casing attaches to the actual motor which is odd right? . . .

10019423864.jpg

hey that pic looks a little familiar

I'll take a look at the service manual and let you know what I figure out, there might be more involved than there was with your clutch cover though. If you look at the parts diagram there's bearings and oil seals in that cover.

How much oil is leaking?

Before tearing into it again, i'd try just pulling that bolt out and using some liquid gasket between the head of the bolt and the cover, that might solve your problem, buy maybe not, I say it's at least worth a try.

I will try it, worth a shot. Hard to tear into I take it? It seems like its just coming from that bolt so I can try to replace it and see how it goes but I did lose quite a bit of oil out of that spot today. I think i put like .25+ Q's in it . . .

Do you have a service manual on your computer? If you do, take a look at page 4-10, you can see that there's a few different pieces you will have to take off first, and it looks like it could be a hassle.

Yeh I see that page and it doesnt look too good. I am gonna try a new bolt and that liquid gasket stuff and hope to god that it stops leaking . . . :mad:

It's not hard at all to tear into the stator cover! If you have to, you will need to take the plastic stator cover off, under there u will see a bolt that needs to be taken off. That bolts is holding a hub in place, you can pry it off with a screwdriver. Undo all the bolts for the stator and slip it off. If you are having trouble take a piece of wood like an 1" dowel and you can tap the stator cover in 3 places from the other side of the bike. Once it is off clean the old gasket material with gasket remover and I also use a fine wire brush on a drill to help, works very well. I buy the standard tube of Yamaha liguid gasket from the dealer, it works great and is easier to remove.

BAD NEWS not the screw or the gasket. The god damn starter cover has two hairline cracks near the screw. Its enough that when there is pressure the oil comes out. I cant imagine how this happened. I never tightened or messed with that side so just my luck. I am going to try JB Weld or something and hope for the best to avoid spending $300 at the yamaha dealership for a new one :mad: Anyone else have any ideas or had this problem before!! HELP PLZ :-/

BAD NEWS not the screw or the gasket. The god damn starter cover has two hairline cracks near the screw. Its enough that when there is pressure the oil comes out. I cant imagine how this happened. I never tightened or messed with that side so just my luck. I am going to try JB Weld or something and hope for the best to avoid spending $300 at the yamaha dealership for a new one :mad: Anyone else have any ideas or had this problem before!! HELP PLZ :-/

I am sure you can get it on ebay for hella' cheap!

Thats shitty..and wierd..Yea i would go on ebay, you can usually get them for under$100......I dont believe JB Weld would work for ya...only because you have to get all the oil out of a hairline crack"while its on the machine"is going to be impossible.

Back