Pretty sure I need a cam....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamdam97

Reaction score
So after a long weekend of riding last week I thought for sure I was gonna blow it up. The top end was ticking so loud that guys in front of me could hear it when we were riding. After all the problems lately I didn't care... I just wanted to make it through the weekend. ANy ways I had found some paper towel clogging my oil screen right before we left, must have had a little piece rip off while we were workin on it. That SUCKED to say the least. So when I got it home the first thing I did was drain the oil. Found a little more but not nearly as much. Cleaned it out and finally got my oil pressure back...but...my cam is ruined.... AND YES... I know I was stupid here but we had planned this trip for months and I wasn't gonna miss it for anything...

clicky for a better look

Yes ..it be dead. Dont forget ya probabbly need a new set of rockers on there also.

Yep, that's what us hot rodders would call "wiping a lobe". :( As JstCriusen pointed out, the rockers are prolly toast too, 'cause your cam is only 1/2 of the equation.
~Ronbo

[quote author=slamdam97 board=quadrelated thread=1159045740 post=1159045740] The top end was ticking so loud that guys in front of me could hear it when we were riding.

I was checking out the site, looking for someone that had a "similar" problem as I did.... the quote above says it all.... the top end was clicking loudly, and then the whole engine seized up! It would start again, but make an aweful racket.... I limped it back to the parking lot (I was only a mile away thank God!) ...but when I tried starting it again....it wouldn't even turn over....

I need some HELP here.... "I can ride the hell out of 'em...but fixin' 'em just aint my thing"

Do I need to have the entire engine rebuilt from what I described? Is it the CAM... the top end...BOTH???? And if I have to have this work done, can anyone tell me if it is worth getting a big bore kit installed at the same time?

Thanks!!

GUSMONSTER

[quote author=slamdam97 board=quadrelated thread=1159045740 post=1159045740] The top end was ticking so loud that guys in front of me could hear it when we were riding.

I was checking out the site, looking for someone that had a "similar" problem as I did.... the quote above says it all.... the top end was clicking loudly, and then the whole engine seized up! It would start again, but make an aweful racket.... I limped it back to the parking lot (I was only a mile away thank God!) ...but when I tried starting it again....it wouldn't even turn over....

I need some HELP here.... "I can ride the hell out of 'em...but fixin' 'em just aint my thing"

Do I need to have the entire engine rebuilt from what I described? Is it the CAM... the top end...BOTH???? And if I have to have this work done, can anyone tell me if it is worth getting a big bore kit installed at the same time?

Thanks!!

GUSMONSTER

I'm not sure if you post on many message boards, so I'll give a friendly heads up before someone lays into you.
It's not polite to jack someone elses thread, and it's not that good to start the same thread in a second (or more) area. Mostly because you'll get people replying to you in both, and it makes the thread hard to follow.

Now, as far as your problem goes, check the other thread you posted about it being seized, there are some good ideas in there to start you off on the right foot.

Good Luck, welcome to the boards. And I hope you get it figured out with out too much comming out of your pocket.
~Bill

Back