porting the heads... is it worth it?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRK5892

Reaction score
We do allot of porting work in the shop. i know on a 660 porting the heads and doing a cam is all you need to do to really make that sucker rip! is it worth it on the 350 raptor motor? if i was to port the heads and add a more aggressive cam would it be worth the work in performance? I know i can do the bore kit to a 366 but i dont want to spend the coin. i could do the heads and cams cheap so i figured i would ask.

so porting it and doing say a stage 1 hot cam would be worth it for a seat of the pants difference? i am just trying to stay away from spending the money on a bore and my buddy i ride with (we got quads at the same time) has a 660... he can go from 33hp to around 60 with just porting work and cam... so figured while doing his we may as well do mine. i just wanted to make sure it was worth the time and would give me power i can feel... i have a raptor 350 motor in the bike now, i would do the port and polish, stage 1 cam, Torq header, Stock 350 raptor exhaust with after market spark arrestor, and 14/40 gears... this sound like a pretty good set up? just trying to do budget and not completely get left in the dust by the 660

sounds great! I will look into a pipe as well to go with the header

It will make it quicker but it will only build 35-40 max.

Back before I did my stroker engine with the 85mm big bore and 10.5:1 JE piston with ported head and custom gaskets which made 220 cranking compression, .450 cam, 38mm mikuni, wb exhaust, dynatek igntion I'd race my buddy on a stock raptor 660 and he would pull about bike length a gear on me.

ok sounds good! thank you for all your input guys!

It's all in the head. I have mine ported and its made a BIG difference! WELL worth it!

for sure ill give a ride report i highly doubt i am going to dyno the bike but ill give a full ride report and pics when we do the actual head work

Each motor behaves different, I would be interested in what yours dynos at at what mine will dyno at.

Stock 660 will dyno around 34hp to the wheels. Mine dyno'd almost 32hp back in the day with mods listed above and peaked at 8000-8500 rpm and doesn't make near the torque of the big bore engines. That is the fun part of my raptor 700. Pulls like a fright train even in 5th.
With +4mm stroker, 12:1 JE (more like 12:5.1) running e85, even larger ported head and carb I picked up 5hp everwhere...

I'm sure the way you talk you have 50+hp and could beat my 700 while riding a wheely past me in 6th. haha!

Last edited:
If I was going to do a budget build.
Stock bore that way you could get by honing the cylinder with out boring it.
12:1 JE piston run e85 fuel or if want to run pump gas go with 10.5:1 and run both with 0" deck clearance and .030" total. That will get you the most compression and will give you more power everywhere.
stage 1 hotcam. -pretty close performance wise to the web .390 which is a great cam for this engine.
Four stroke tech port job.
Raptor intake manifold, have it ported with the head (38mm) and get a cheap 38mm carb off ebay. You will have to come up with an intake and filter setup.
Find a reverse megaphone exhaust with a 2.25" core. (this is important as straight exhaust will give up a lot of hp).
Stock ignition is pretty good. don't want to go much past 34-35 total timing and stock is already 33 degrees..but retards as you go past 33 degrees total.. You could go for the vito's timing key.

After doing this it will keep up just fine to your friends raptor 660 until he starts bolting exhaust and intake on...

Jason that is great advice! i think i will prob follow this word for word actually

Jason shooting in the dark what do you think that would run me, if i was to do the head work myself

Hell yes! now to source some used parts! any suggestions on where to look? even if for now i run a Stage 1 cam and head work that should be cool for a bit

Back