Poor Rappy :(

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atv

Reaction score
Well kid in my school wants to buy my atv and asked his parents ( who must not know alot about quads ) and they said yes he could but it for 3800 so im bring some pictures in monday to school and tellin him to make sure its ok to buy it and then its sold but im still trying to decide on a 450r or a yfz and i know alot of you people are gonna say a yfz but their expensive and also a track bike but im leaning more towards the R because its seems From what i have read on atvriders a trailbike and thats what im gonna be doing... and some track but im not sure if i should save up and buy a 06/07 Yfz or but a 06/07 450r...

Well kid in my school wants to buy my atv and asked his parents ( who must not know alot about quads ) and they said yes he could but it for 3800 so im bring some pictures in monday to school and tellin him to make sure its ok to buy it and then its sold but im still trying to decide on a 450r or a yfz and i know alot of you people are gonna say a yfz but their expensive and also a track bike but im leaning more towards the R because its seems From what i have read on atvriders a trailbike and thats what im gonna be doing... and some track but im not sure if i should save up and buy a 06/07 Yfz or but a 06/07 450r...

what makes the yfz more of a track quad than a 450r?

[quote:kfo9ri91]Well kid in my school wants to buy my atv and asked his parents ( who must not know alot about quads ) and they said yes he could but it for 3800 so im bring some pictures in monday to school and tellin him to make sure its ok to buy it and then its sold but im still trying to decide on a 450r or a yfz and i know alot of you people are gonna say a yfz but their expensive and also a track bike but im leaning more towards the R because its seems From what i have read on atvriders a trailbike and thats what im gonna be doing... and some track but im not sure if i should save up and buy a 06/07 Yfz or but a 06/07 450r...

what makes the yfz more of a track quad than a 450r?[/quote:kfo9ri91]
im not sure actually but anyway another reason is because the yfz is a little bit more on money then the 450r lol

well,450's on GENRAL arnt the BEST sport quads,my freind just got a new 07 400ex,and man that thing rips!!!!

heres the breakdown....... yfzs and 450rs are amazing bikes bike each does certain things well.

the honda is without a doubt narrower. some people are claiming that it lacks the vital aspects that make a bike mx ready. i beg to differ. i think each 450 can perform very well in stock form on the track.

comfort definatly goes to the honda, while the ltr and yfz have great shocks to make up for that loss. in the trails all the honda needs are tires. the stocks are terrible compared to the yfz and ltr.

best overall package most likely goes to the yam because it is the most well rounded on everything.

the 04-05 hondas are turning out to be the best bike out though because of the potential the motor has. byrds 05 motor is cranking out high 60s on a chassis that is proven to win!

you cant go wrong with either, but the honda just seems to last you longer, in comfort.

The question is not what is better on the yfz.... but What isnt better on the yfz.

Without a doubt the yfz, the 450r just isnt the machine the yamaha is.

Nahh im just kidding but honestly the yfz does have alot of better features than the 450r.

its funny how people tell you about a quad that they do not own have never onw and may have never ridden.

exactly, although the yfz is faster and has a few different features, they are bolth sick and friggin awsome quads, so either way i think you will be all set

I think it depends on what you ride mostly that should be the deciding factor. The 450's are generally aimed for track usage, but can do other stuff, e.i. Dune, trails, flat track, gncc. But out of all of those styles of riding, for the most part they are built with riding on a track as a main area of expertise.
The rappy 700 which runs for a similiar amount of $'s to the yfz is generally the trail counterpart to the yfz. It's mostly geared towards agressive trail riding, and gncc. But again it can hold it's own on the track, dunes, and other places.

And even if you wanted to save a few bucks you could pick up a rappy 660, just be careful of the 2001's as they had tranny problems.
If you have your heart set on one of the 450's you have to look at it logically. Your going to be dropping a decent amount of coin on this quad. Where are you mostly going to ride it, Trails, MX Tracks, a mix of both, If it is a mix of both, how common is the lesser of the 2 places that you'll be in.

The reason I ask all this stuff if because the zuki already comes pretty well geared to the track, and with the quite core pulled out, and the cherry bomb ($45 part, yields close to 7 hp) which is a substantial power increase. But it's power delivery (from what I've read) can be a little touchy, and similiar to how a powerband of a 2-stroke can kick in, though not as drastic of a change. And on top of that with the added width, it may be hard to fit through some tight wooded trails.
Stock v Stock on a track I'd say the zuki should have the win with equal riders (not definate, but seems logical, and plus the cherry bomb is $45, and who can't spare that if you are buying the zuki.)

The YFZ (again from what I've read) is somewhat more trail friendly, ergonomically speaking. Though from quite a few message boards I've read on them say they are not as comfortable on them as they are on the honda's (but that is personal preference, and nothing a set of bars can't help out a little). But on the track and trails, I've heard that comparably mod'd, and stock v stock, the YFZ is generally more well sought after, power, and smoothness of power delivery wise.

Between the YFZ and the 450r, it's tough since they are both built as still in a basic form, and not as track specific as the zuki.
Take your time, go sit on them all. See how the quads fit your body, lean on then transfer your weight from side to side like your turning, see how they feel under you. Try to find out as much as you can about each of the 3 available so your not kicking yourself later...

Good Luck on your purchase, I hope that things work out for ya.
~Bill

I got a chance to ride a Bill Ballance edition yfz450 and gotta say that performance wise it was clearly superior to my raptor 350 in every single way. However I wouldn't give up my 350 for it since I ride mostly trails and that 450 felt more cramped than my raptor. the 450 was awesome but it was noisier, rougher, beat me up and felt too much like a tweaked race machine (which Im sure alot of you guys like). I really wanted to get a 450 but a test ride changed everything. I liked my buddys Rap 660 so I will probably get the 700r since the 450 is now not an option for me. That 450 is an amazing quad, I can see why so many guys have them.

I got a chance to ride a Bill Ballance edition yfz450 and gotta say that performance wise it was clearly superior to my raptor 350 in every single way. However I wouldn't give up my 350 for it since I ride mostly trails and that 450 felt more cramped than my raptor. the 450 was awesome but it was noisier, rougher, beat me up and felt too much like a tweaked race machine (which Im sure alot of you guys like). I really wanted to get a 450 but a test ride changed everything. I liked my buddys Rap 660 so I will probably get the 700r since the 450 is now not an option for me. That 450 is an amazing quad, I can see why so many guys have them.

When i rode a yfz it was completely opposite, i felt like i could ride hard all day and never get tired. On my warrior i feel more out of control than in control when trying to go fast, i never got that feeling once when i was on the yfz.

The yfz is still the quad to beat. The suki, although wider and maybe slightly better suspension is still is not competition ready out of the box. The fuel injection is worthless at this point, its not even capable of accepting little mods such as airfilters or pipes. As far as im concerned fuel injection has a long way to go before it becomes as good as a carb. Fuel injection gets way too expensive way too fast. With a carb i can toss a couple 3 dollar jets in and be done, fuel injection im buying programers, changing injectors etc etc.

The yfz is the fastest machine out of the box, and tahts before the cam mod. After uncorking the quad the yfz only becomes that much better.

All are good, but on a dollar to dollar basis id choose the yfz. Its proven to be the best time and time again.

[quote:v2qahdi5]I got a chance to ride a Bill Ballance edition yfz450 and gotta say that performance wise it was clearly superior to my raptor 350 in every single way. However I wouldn't give up my 350 for it since I ride mostly trails and that 450 felt more cramped than my raptor. the 450 was awesome but it was noisier, rougher, beat me up and felt too much like a tweaked race machine (which Im sure alot of you guys like). I really wanted to get a 450 but a test ride changed everything. I liked my buddys Rap 660 so I will probably get the 700r since the 450 is now not an option for me. That 450 is an amazing quad, I can see why so many guys have them.

When i rode a yfz it was completely opposite, i felt like i could ride hard all day and never get tired. On my warrior i feel more out of control than in control when trying to go fast, i never got that feeling once when i was on the yfz.

The yfz is still the quad to beat. The suki, although wider and maybe slightly better suspension is still is not competition ready out of the box. The fuel injection is worthless at this point, its not even capable of accepting little mods such as airfilters or pipes. As far as im concerned fuel injection has a long way to go before it becomes as good as a carb. Fuel injection gets way too expensive way too fast. With a carb i can toss a couple 3 dollar jets in and be done, fuel injection im buying programers, changing injectors etc etc.

The yfz is the fastest machine out of the box, and tahts before the cam mod. After uncorking the quad the yfz only becomes that much better.

All are good, but on a dollar to dollar basis id choose the yfz. Its proven to be the best time and time again.[/quote:v2qahdi5]Yup YFZ are awsome..thats what my next quad is gonna be... :) :cool:

I think it depends on what you ride mostly that should be the deciding factor. The 450's are generally aimed for track usage, but can do other stuff, e.i. Dune, trails, flat track, gncc. But out of all of those styles of riding, for the most part they are built with riding on a track as a main area of expertise.
The rappy 700 which runs for a similiar amount of $'s to the yfz is generally the trail counterpart to the yfz. It's mostly geared towards agressive trail riding, and gncc. But again it can hold it's own on the track, dunes, and other places.

And even if you wanted to save a few bucks you could pick up a rappy 660, just be careful of the 2001's as they had tranny problems.
If you have your heart set on one of the 450's you have to look at it logically. Your going to be dropping a decent amount of coin on this quad. Where are you mostly going to ride it, Trails, MX Tracks, a mix of both, If it is a mix of both, how common is the lesser of the 2 places that you'll be in.

The reason I ask all this stuff if because the zuki already comes pretty well geared to the track, and with the quite core pulled out, and the cherry bomb ($45 part, yields close to 7 hp) which is a substantial power increase. But it's power delivery (from what I've read) can be a little touchy, and similiar to how a powerband of a 2-stroke can kick in, though not as drastic of a change. And on top of that with the added width, it may be hard to fit through some tight wooded trails.
Stock v Stock on a track I'd say the zuki should have the win with equal riders (not definate, but seems logical, and plus the cherry bomb is $45, and who can't spare that if you are buying the zuki.)

The YFZ (again from what I've read) is somewhat more trail friendly, ergonomically speaking. Though from quite a few message boards I've read on them say they are not as comfortable on them as they are on the honda's (but that is personal preference, and nothing a set of bars can't help out a little). But on the track and trails, I've heard that comparably mod'd, and stock v stock, the YFZ is generally more well sought after, power, and smoothness of power delivery wise.

Between the YFZ and the 450r, it's tough since they are both built as still in a basic form, and not as track specific as the zuki.
Take your time, go sit on them all. See how the quads fit your body, lean on then transfer your weight from side to side like your turning, see how they feel under you. Try to find out as much as you can about each of the 3 available so your not kicking yourself later...

Good Luck on your purchase, I hope that things work out for ya.
~Bill

W0w that is probably theee most informative post i have ever read no offense to anyone else and thank you for your posts... but now the 450 i was looking at was just sold so now im am just going to what feels comfortable most the LTR is out of my leage ( $ wise ) so its between the Yfz and the R so this week hopefully i will be going to the honda dealer and maybe a yamaha deler if its not that far and will be sitting on each of the quads to see what fits me best... and thanks alot guys for ur infortmative posts and also this deal with my quAD being sold aready might not turn out so if any of you are looking for a raptor let me know 3800 obo and comes with a couple extras...

Have you rode a raptor 350? They don't wear me out near as fast as the warriors. More about the riding position than anything else.

ATV, if you can, get some seat time on all of them before buying. Surely someone will let you ride theirs around the parking lot or something at your nearest riding area. If not, find somewhere to rent them for a day. That way you'll know for sure that you got the one best suited for you. Personally, for trail riding I like my 350. If I wanted to go faster I'd get the 700 or a 660.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

go with what you want not what everyone else preference is even though it helps to know think for yurself

[quote:km32vc11]When i rode a yfz it was completely opposite, i felt like i could ride hard all day and never get tired. On my warrior i feel more out of control than in control when trying to go fast, i never got that feeling once when i was on the yfz.

Have you rode a raptor 350? They don't wear me out near as fast as the warriors. More about the riding position than anything else.

ATV, if you can, get some seat time on all of them before buying. Surely someone will let you ride theirs around the parking lot or something at your nearest riding area. If not, find somewhere to rent them for a day. That way you'll know for sure that you got the one best suited for you. Personally, for trail riding I like my 350. If I wanted to go faster I'd get the 700 or a 660.

Good luck with whatever you decide![/quote:km32vc11]

The rappy would deff be better suspension wise, but i havent been riding to much since the banshee shocks at least in a track like setting. i know the stock shocks sucked on certain things, woop sections were one, after about 3 or 4 times through them the rear shock was getting too stiff.

I am 178 lbs and 5'11 - the YFZ feels VERY comfy to me and I ride both track and trail. If you like pulling 3rd and 4th gear wheelies with out popping a clutch or being the fastest machine out there (faster then a 450R, LTZ, and Raptor 700 and pretty much everything else) then the YFZ is for you.

I ride woods fast and hard and it doesnt tire me out - I will be running nitrous on her soon too!! :-D The YFZ stock feels fast but a piped one with the cam mod - you must re-learn how to ride the machine; it becomes nutty rip your arms off the bars quicker!!! I will say I dont like the pre-06 models for comfort (the stem is short and seat is hard). But for 2006 and onward the seat is much more cushy and they extended the stem - it is now perfect.

The YFZ is lighter, quicker, faster, and over all better then any other machine out right now. If you like being first get a YFZ - if you like to be second best buy a Honda.

Back