Poor idling 87 warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithd

Reaction score
Hello all, new on the board here...I just picked up an 87 warrior (traded for snowmobile) and have a few questions!
The quad needs a bit of work, but is in pretty decent condition. However it has a hard time idling. When I looked at the quad the guy was constantly turning the idle screw (big turn knob with spring on carb) to get it to idle. He said this was normal...ya right!

The bike has a DG pipe on it, but other than that is stock (to my knowledge)

I plan to take the carb apart and jet it properly, but any links or references to proper carb set up or starting point? How many turns in or out for which screws? Any other reason why the bike doesn't idle so well??

I just got the thing home and havn't even had a chance to get a wrench out yet, just thought I'd tap into some of the expertise here

Thanks to all!

Check out the tutorials section there you will find good topic about carb and jetting.
My opinion would be to go back to factory settings first and start rejetting the carb from there at least you know to go up or down with the jets, needle and idle screw.

i play with the idle speed screw when warming up the quad on cold days. after i get it running without the choke i just speed up the idle a little bit with the finger screw, its better than sitting there with your thumb on the throttle. when the motor is warm, back out the idle speed screw and off you go.

Back