Please help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serento

Reaction score
[/ATTACH] so I broke one of the studs and didnt want to keep breaking stuff so I droped it of at the shop . They called me the next day and said it was ready,so when I got it home I fired it up it started back firing back and that is when I notice that they did get the broking stud out but they broke everything around it so now I cant even put the stock stud back in caues the hole is way to big now. Can someone please tell me what to do

Attachments

• IMG_20110718_133243.jpg
    IMG_20110718_133243.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Only 2 things I can think of is heli coil(not sure I spelled that right) or tap it and put the bigger bolt in. Last ditch, but would require alot more work would be to get a different head. I would suggest one of the first 2 things though.

Thanks alot for the info. last week I just finished having a hot rods 397 stroker kit installed and now this happens I dont want to replace the head cause I just had the new pistion installed ,so what I was thinking is finding a large bolt and having it welded in the place of the removed stud, but would that work or not

Unless somethings come up you cant weld steel to aluminum, but you can tap it to accept a larger bolt. Ive done that to numerous things.

I don't think a heli coil will work too well for that... the diameter of the hole appears to be too big for a heli coil to resize it to the proper size.

But don't worry... the fix is actually pretty easy, I had to do the same thing myself when my stud broke as well.

That hole is drilled to a certain diameter, you will need to find out what that size is. Then go to your local hardware store and go to the racks where they have steel bars, rods, and sheet metal. Get a piece of threaded bar/rod that is the proper size.
Then you will have to tap the head to the same thread pitch as that bar so you can thread it in.
Next, take the bar and thread it in as far as it will go until it bottoms out. Now mark it off to where it would be flush with the head so you can cut it to the proper length.
Cut it to that length. Now before you thread it back in, drill and tap a hole in the center of it that is the original size and thread.
You will want a shorty bolt (shorter than the plug), take it and thread it into the small hole so that way you have a way to put a wrench on it and tighten the plug into the head. Remember to put some red lock tite on the plug so that way it is stuck in there and wont come out.
After its in and snugged up, take the shorty bolt out of the plug and viola! you have the head back ready to use.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass and time consuming to be honest, but it works and lasts. I've flogged my warrior for about 2 years now since I fixed it this way and there have been no issues. Just take your time and it will be fine.

Thats a good idea, never thought of that. Just a thought though did you have to pay the shop to destroy the hole like that? If so Id be asking for a refund, as you probably could have done that yourself.

Well lets see I payed 1100 for the stroker kit ,having it bored, p+p, then 650 on labor, then when this stud broke they charged me for 2 hours of labor at 90.00 an hour, so I paid 180.00 for nothing. I dont care about the money I just want to ride

Damn man they raped you for doing pretty much nothing with that hole. Dueces idea sounds like the best, followed by just tapping it and putting in a bigger bolt. Either way you should be riding in no time.

I had a guy who was good at welding aluminum build a tab that had broken off a motorcycle I had. Jug had to come off and it was done very carefully, too much heat in that area and you're out a cylinder.

this may sound way out there but it just shot into my head. What if you heated up aluminum untill it was liquidfied and poured it in the hole, let it cool then drill and tap it. Don't have a clue if it would work or not.

it probably would not work because it would not have mended with the head... it would also possibly cause damage to introduce that much heat of liquid aluminum to the spot... could cause it to crack. Just a guess though and I could be wrong, but I would not risk that

your best bet is to take to to some one that can weld and tap aluminium.... whould cst you much at all and it will be back to original... thats what i did, i also had the guy fill in a hole in my bottom end where the chain broke the case, he charged me $40. i gave him $50 hahaha well worth the money... tell that place you took it, to eat a bag of dicks and dont go back to them

Back