Piston question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesnut84

Reaction score
I tore my cylinder off my warrior and I want to replace the piston rings. The piston is in good shape I am wondering who made my piston and whose rings can I buy for it. It's marked .040 over and the only other markings say 1ym. Any suggestions would be great.

It's stock Yamaha. Just get some .040 rings and make sure to measure the end gap. But I would mic the cylinder while it is apart just to make sure you don't need to bore to clean up the cylinder.

I also checked the bore while it is apart it's .0003" from perfectly round. And .001 tapered from top to bottom. The finish is smooth. There's light vertical lines in a couple spots.

No reason to replace the rings if you aren't re honeing or boring it out.
That's a factory Yamaha .40 over repacement piston.

Thanks guys is there a decent place on the web to order my rings? Tried ebay and there's a bunch of options. Not sure which to run with

I'd go with Yamaha factory .40 over replacement rings over aftermarket.

Ok so I got rings in the mail and honed the cylinder. What it your guys opinion on .034" for the ring gap. I read it's supposed to be half that.

Back