pereping 4 paint

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akbnkb

Reaction score
how did all u guys clean the paint and rust off ur frames? im trying to get mine cleaned up.i have wire wheeled it, and i tried to sand blast it...i bought a sand blaster and found out the hard way the air compressor wont do the job. as soon as i start the tank is empty.and i dont have acess to a bigger one.any ideas? how did u all do it?

you might be able to find a paint stripper and crap likee that, i would grind it down with a sanding disk on a angle grinder

Power sander, sand paper, carb cleaner, steel wool, and elbow gease. This worked really well for cleaning up any rust. Did this on a 94 swing arm that had a bunch of crap and rust on it. Used carb cleaner to get rid of the gunk buildup, took the sander to get the large portions down to the base metal. Used sand paper to get the more detailed ares (welds and nooks). Went over it with carb cleaner again and wiped down to get rid of any dust from the sanding. Took a self-etching primer, layed down two coats, and then proceeded to paint and clear coat. Hope this helps.

i dont have the patience to hand sand a frame. just get it PC'd they will strip and prep for you with a chemical dipping process (it will add about 50 dollars to the powdercoating cost). this process guarantees all the rust is gone and will not start to bubble when it gets painted. also, the powder coating will hold up alot better than paint/ clearcoat (it is much harder). obviously cost is always an issue, but i think in the long run you will be glad you did it the best way you can.

thanks guys its coming along nicely, ill put up some pic later.

Back