PAINTING PLASTICS

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksk350

Reaction score
Anyone know what kinda paint i should use and how to paint my plastics so it wont chip?? im painting my 125, anyone got a step by step?? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

No matter what you do its going to chip, unless you ride nothing but the dunes. If your hellbent on painting them, just get the fusion paint that is the same color as the plastics now, so when they chip and scratch it wont be as noticable. As for prep, use a fine grit scotch brite pad and work the plastics over till there is no more shine. make sure the plastics are clean, dry, and oil free. As I said before it will chip, and scratch. And it will spider when the plastics flex to much. Thats why using the same color as the plastics already are is better.

i've sanded my fenders with 220 grit and then I've Used automotive plastic bumper flexible primer it's kinda like a rubber primer.....I bought it from a friend who have a car paint shop...... an then i've used Krylon Fusion paint.....and it's holding very strong.....but that's because of the primer that i'v e used....

Max

i painted my nose and gas tank cover black with the fusion stuff and the real color of the plastics is red

ive been riding with them for a year now and not a singal scratch or red showing through any where

oh yeah and i did sand it down intill there was no shine at all

1) Sand your plastics to get all deep scratches out with 220 paper
2)Now use a finer grit like 400..Figure to spend about 8 hours sanding..i did
3)Now use some steel wool
4)PRIME them with a plastic primer that has a flex additive or add it yourself..
5)Paint them
6)Clear coat

I have painted alot of plastics following those steps..they all are holding up great with very few chips. Prime and paint an area that isnt visible to make sure you will be happy with the color..

dont use spray paint if you can help it..i would try to use a spray gun with an air compressor..but if you dont care if it doesnt look top notch then spray paint will work just fine

Back