OverCharging??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtstalker

Reaction score
Ok, this isn't a warrior problem, it's a 300 Honda fourtrax I'm working on for my uncle. We replaced the cdi and regulator a couple months ago. It's been working fine since then, until today. His battery got EXTREMELY hot while he was out feeding the cows(all he uses it for). Checked the voltage and it was pushing almost 17 volts. Unhooked the battery and kick started the quad, and tested voltage again, it was putting out almost 47 volts at 1/8 throttle!!. My question is, what would make the regulator start overcharging?? I'm assuming that's why voltage is so high,,which is pretty much causing the batt to boil.

Well... We really don't need to get into how a voltage regulator works, really. Just that it is not keeping the voltage at the desired level. Just a lemon reg. I'd replace and retest. Also, I'd get a factory Honda unit.

Ok, thanks pat. I know the reg. is bad, I was just wondering if there was anything that could be making it go bad, like a stator or anything else on the bike. This bike has always ran like a top, til the reg and cdi went bad. Acutally the cdi went bad first, changed it and bike did good for a couple weeks. Then the reg. went bad and ended up burning a hole in the cdi, so changed both at the same time. now this.

make sure there aren't any bare wires rubbing or grounding out on frame somewhere

Back