ON to the next 01 warrior project in the shop. What you guys thinkin?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younngballa88

Reaction score
Alright so i picked this 01 up a few weeks ago (i posted pics when got it but was working on another one at the time so didnt start till tonight)

2-1.jpg

I bought it for 500 po telling me it ran but needed a starter. Looked ok from what i could see. Well i tore down tonight to put starter in and its a rats nest :disgust:... Head light,tail light and dash lights all gone. The start switch and ignition not stock. And the start solenoid is double the normal size and has a red/white wire spliced into it... But anyway i put the starter and battery in anddddd. NOTHING not even a click. So i jumped solenoid and again NOTHING... OK wtf... so i took starter lead off solenoid and touched right to battery and still NOTHING DOUBLE WTF..... so i looked around and noticed there was no clutch or parking brake safety either. I ruled them out, also tried another solenoid i had lying around nothing worked. Finally i took the lead wire off and checked it and was good so i put back in bike and used a vise grip right to starter for a ground and hooked up to a battery and it turned over. SO what do you guys think? The ground is attached to the top of engine like it should be.. Still kinda seems like i have no ground to starter tho since it wouldn't turn over unless i physically gave it a ground. Heres some pictures of the bs im dealing with....
IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg
THIS IS HOW I GOT IT TO TURN OVER BUT NO OTHER WAY...

By the look of all that crap, I would have to think you would be just as far ahead to replace the whole wiring harness....

its not that bad, get the right solenoing and clean your gounds cleaned up. looks like they wired it to work, but it not turning over with it shorted is because of a ground issue.

its not that bad, get the right solenoing and clean your gounds cleaned up. looks like they wired it to work, but it not turning over with it shorted is because of a ground issue.

I did plug in a right solenoid and still nothing. Is there more then one ground or just that main in the engine block?? I Wish i knew what that white/red wire was im gonna have to figure that out and why its spliced into solenoid. WHEN I PLUG IN NEW SOLENOID AND TOUCH THAT WIRE TO BATTERY SIDE IT MAKES A WEIRD CRACKLING NOISE!! I think im gonna start with new harness and go from there cause that kill switch is has to be in off position in order to click (when it does randomly) and make that crackle noise. Its a F***ing mess. Honestly im probably going to push it back in the corner and forget bout it for a while since im picking up that raptor 660 on friday that i got off ebay for the wife. Kids and wife come first I have a 87 Big Wheel 80 for the kids i need to swap out the front end too.

I noticed the kill switch was in the off position in the pic just wondering if you switched it to Run when trying to start it? not trying to be a dick just checking the simple stuff first

Na lol good question... I tried it both ways and only way it gave me any results was in off position so i assume since wrong kill switch maybe backwards IE off is on ect ect Cause when i had it in run nothing happened ever no clicks or sparks or anything but when i had it in off position it woould randomly click and spark or make a noise ect...

I think I know what the problem is my 01 was doing the same thing and my boy had the black/white wire from the kill switch plugged into the black/yellow wire instead under the headlights make sure that black/white wire is plugged into the same color wire under the lights cause if it's plugged into the black/yellow wire it will only start with the kill switch in the kill position

I think I know what the problem is my 01 was doing the same thing and my boy had the black/white wire from the kill switch plugged into the black/yellow wire instead under the headlights make sure that black/white wire is plugged into the same color wire under the lights cause if it's plugged into the black/yellow wire it will only start with the kill switch in the kill position

Ok ill check that out tomorrow, Still wouldn't cause my no turn over issue tho i don't think.... Like said above tho im almost certain im dealing with a ground issue on that one.

AS ALWAYS THX FOR YOUR INPUT FELLAS

My grey warrior was doing the same. After checking and testing pretty much everything that had to do with the starting system, I plugged in the cdi off my blue warrior and wouldn't you know, it turned right over. So yeah, you might have a dead cdi unit:)

My grey warrior was doing the same. After checking and testing pretty much everything that had to do with the starting system, I plugged in the cdi off my blue warrior and wouldn't you know, it turned right over. So yeah, you might have a dead cdi unit:)

i have an extra of everything laying around my shop since i have a parts store on ebay. Ill try that too. Thx guys

If you short the solenoid with a screw driver and it wont work, YOU HAVE A GROUND ISSUE, because that screw driver you used to short it with, BYPASSED EVERY SWITCH ON THE ENTIRE BIKE I would fix that first because its the simplest

If you short the solenoid with a screw driver and it wont work, YOU HAVE A GROUND ISSUE, because that screw driver you used to short it with, BYPASSED EVERY SWITCH ON THE ENTIRE BIKE I would fix that first because its the simplest

OK awesome STRAIGHT TO THE POINT ANSWER :tup: Thanks ill start there. Ill post back later next week im leaving for deer camp in a day or so, Doubt ill get to work on it at all but its a possibility lol. I tend to always wind up in the shop after havein a beer or two.

Back