oil

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinky0099

Reaction score
What oil do you guys use? I dont want to spend alot. I dont really care if its the best. I just want somthing you can pick up at auto zone or walmart that will work good

at walmart.... mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil

anywhere else just go with pennzoil anything but synthetic or max life.... extended mileage etc.

Just buy standard motor oil.

**** all that ****.. use what the manufacture recomends because that is what they test with and approve the bike for.

Very true... id reccomend yamalube.. its cheap enough.

But many people argue yadda yadda yadda.

In the end you should use motorcycle oil no matter what people say imho.

**** all that ****.. use what the manufacture recomends because that is what they test with and approve the bike for.

Are you sure the manufacturer did some indepth testing to produce the best oil or are just selling you product? I sure wish consumer reports or some "unbiased group" would cover this issue!!

[quote:xfh44uvc]**** all that ****.. use what the manufacture recomends because that is what they test with and approve the bike for.

Are you sure the manufacturer did some indepth testing to produce the best oil or are just selling you product? I sure wish consumer reports or some "unbiased group" would cover this issue!![/quote:xfh44uvc]

They have in the past and none could come up with a conclusive decision. Griff said you can any oil, he had no problems, Death said they used regular oil and a brand new clutch started slipping, but remidied the problem by going back to motorcycle specific oil. Its your choice, Mickey Dunlap of FST said I can use most Diesel oils, but I've stuck with Yamalube. I will how ever break in my motor on diesel oil, because I'm only going to dump it after 10 or minutes of run time and don't want to wast $4 a quart of yamalube.

[quote:e02qxmiz]**** all that ****.. use what the manufacture recomends because that is what they test with and approve the bike for.

Are you sure the manufacturer did some indepth testing to produce the best oil or are just selling you product? I sure wish consumer reports or some "unbiased group" would cover this issue!![/quote:e02qxmiz]

I know for a fact the oils like yamalube were not produced to be the best. Pennzoil and all other similar motor oils, especially extended life and high mileage synthetics, all are formulated to maintain the least amount of friction possible on motor surfaces... people seem to forget that car motors and trans are seperate.... theres a reason motorcycle oils are formulate for wet clutches and regular oils are not..

A normal trail rider may never see any loss in clutch grab... but someone who actually uses the clutch or builds up their motor will see a loss in clutch life and grab when not using motorcycle oils... ive been down that road... about 10 mins of good hard riding and that oil has my clutches fading so bad it isnt funny. I was adjusting my clutch over 10 times a ride on regular motor oils.... switched back to yamalube and then amsoil and havent had any problems with either. I only got rid of the yamalube because its too expensive to replace oils every so often.. with amsoil i can do it once a year.

after market clutch in your machine?

I would agree with everything you said (except the changing the oil once a year "chuckle"). You noticed a slippage in the clutch and you made adjustments. If you didn't have an issue, you would probably still be running auto oil. I am not having a clutch issue (knock on wood), so will continue to use auto oil with no special labels. I have never had to readjust my clutch - adjust untill excess slop is out of cable and away I go. Maybe (just a thought here), that your cable was adjusted to tight, not letting it fully engage. There really is no clutch adjustment - it is an adjustment for where you would like the lever to release the clutch. Other than that, it is suppose to be fully engaged always.

Next time I change my oil, I may go back to motorcycle oil to see if I notice any difference.

I can change my oil once a year.... amsoil last 5 times as long as any other oil. when i change it it still is brown. Ill take out the filter and clean/ replace 2-3 times a year though.

The issue is common with clutches when they are abused... i just noticed it was much less of an issue with amsoil.

[quote author=wie1086 board=quadrelated thread=1178257619 post=1178381278]
A normal trail rider may never see any loss in clutch grab... but someone who actually uses the clutch or builds up their motor will see a loss in clutch life and grab when not using motorcycle oils... ive been down that road... about 10 mins of good hard riding and that oil has my clutches fading so bad it isnt funny. I was adjusting my clutch over 10 times a ride on regular motor oils.... switched back to yamalube and then amsoil and havent had any problems with either. I only got rid of the yamalube because its too expensive to replace oils every so often.. with amsoil i can do it once a year.

That is exactly why diesel oil is ideal for quads. Most are engineered to work in wet clutches and are extremely tough. A good synthetic diesel oil will last just as long as amsoil MC oil (sometimes longer) and will be much cheaper.

ive heard that the diesel oil is bad for the bearings is this true

yea but those are made for the thick oil im just afraid to run it then have problems but i need something for my clutch

I dont think youl have a problem with trans. ball bearings but the crank needle bearng is the weak point and this is what I head from a old time hot rod car mechnic, use only oils from Pennsylvania oil wells, use only single weight not multi weight oils, multy weight oils can breakdown under high heat condition, and what every you use change it often, and I know leaking rings can play hell on motor oils, and a warrior motor can get very very hot, its air cooled so the oil has to help cool motor, clutch, bearings and gears

Back