Oil questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridaredneck

Reaction score
Okay got few oil questions.

1. Is 10w-40 okay
2. What way can i make it not so messy
3. What the difference in oils like Castrol Royal Purple?

the oil i use in my quad is yamalube.. ive used the maxma synthetic **** thats like $40 for an oil change and i think that is the biggest waste of money ive ever spent. i got half the ride time before an oil change with this then i would with yamalube and the maxma synthetic smelt really burnt and was a meltallicly color i would not recomend this oil to any one... ive had really good luck with yamalube and it will take some serious convincing to get me to use something else.
btw what do you mean so messy?

Well since i have the big bear oil cooler, i take the oil filter off, drain the lines and cool, put the lines back on and then put a new oil filter in, put more oil in the bike and then hold my thumb up against the return hole of the cover till oil comes out the line. Then put that line up and check oil level.

Is there any other way that i can go about doing my oil change its gets annoying trying to tighten screws with oily hands.

I think you're overdoing it a little. I have the oil cooler, and all I do when I change mine, is drain the oil through the plug obviously, pull the cap off and swap out the filter, and then put everything back together and fill the oil. I don't see a real reason to take the lines off or any of that you're doing.

i use fully synthetic spectro gold and during the winter 10w 30

but during the summer i use 20w 50

so far i love the stuff it proves to work really well and keep the engine cooler

I will have to change my oil for the first time soon and don't have a book so I planned on asking here. Can I just use any oil off the shelf or do I need something special?

I will have to change my oil for the first time soon and don't have a book so I planned on asking here. Can I just use any oil off the shelf or do I need something special?

Everybody has their own opinions on this, but I don't use anything other than atv or motorcycle specific oil in my quads. Some people say that it doesn't make a difference what you use, but certain oils contain friction modifiers that can trash the wet clutch.

Back