oil pump?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1988nissan300zx

Reaction score
ok first question is do you have to pull the clutch and everything on that side to replace the oil pump? reasoning for asking is because i notice that the gear on the oil pump has a little play in it when i tilt it back and forth. which is my next question is that normal? thanks!

bump. really needing some info before i start putting it back together.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think you at least pull the gears off the crank...

I've always had the cases split when I changed pumps so I'm no help there

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think you at least pull the gears off the crank...

I've always had the cases split when I changed pumps so I'm no help there

Ditto^^^ Oh, wait! I have a spare bottom end without the clutch cover on it. I can look when I get the chance.

ok that would be awesome. i noticed the little play in the gear and figured better look into that before i put it back together.

Are you talking about play between the plastic pump gear and the metal gear that drives it? That is called backlash, and is normal. There is only a certain amount allowed, however, so it may just be best to replace the ole girl.

no its the pump gear its self. ill get a video up in a little bit.

Last edited:
Pretty certain you have to take the drive gears off the crank so the pump body clears it. Then it's just 3 Phillips heads fasteners and the pump comes free from the case. Oh, you will need to get the oil pump gasket as well.

so do you really think it needs replaced? just wasn't really wanting to take those gears off, but for peace of mind and the fact that i am right there kind of makes me want to, but also dont want to something i don't need to do.

FWIW do whatever gives you peace of mind. If I was worried about it, I would prolly replace it.

That's a good bit of wobble, replace it, I'd hate top hear you having to tow your quad off of the trail for a part that costs around $20...

Oil pumps are close to 120$ bro...

Change it. It's worth it and will last you another 2,000 hours. Or until the rod bearing goes lol.

They all have wobble to some degree it's not a steel on steel machined fit. Hell the part that splines it is about the size of a over grown paper clip..

yeah its moving the whole shaft in the pump housing its self. so looks its getting a new oil pump. now for some instructions on how to do it would be much appreciated cause i dont have a manual. thanks!

Back