Oil cooler questions?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgewarrior

Reaction score
I've done a quick search on this and couldn't quite find the answers I needed. I'm new to the ATV world but do have mechanical knowledge. I wanna do this mod but I don't know where to start? I see that 1998yamahawarrior builds the clutch covers. I would need. I'm insure of what parts I would need asides from the obvious hoses, cooler, and cover. Are there internal pars I need? And anything else I maybe over looking? thanks in advance for the help

Using the cover mod has the cool oil hit crank bearing first. Where the big bear mod has the cool oil go to the head first. Both will help but many of the experts will tell you the cover mod is the best way to go.

Yeah dropped 1998yamahawarrior a line. Think I'm gonna get him to make me one. After riding some trails with a couple of 4x4 trucks the other day, putsing around in first gear, and still wanting to pass them. It may be a good investment. Lol

Last edited:
I went the big bear route because I had already replaced my clutch and just didn't feel like pulling my cover off again. That and with all the work I was doing to the bike at that time I didn't feel like doing the extra work to my extra cover. I like the "factory" yamaha look, too. I would say that my bike runs a good 30 degrees cooler, maybe more. When I build my spare engine I'm going to do the cover mod, since I am planning on doing a 400 big bore or stroker.

I have the Big Bear cooler, and to have seen at least a 30* drop in temps. Cool oil is just that, cool oil. It helps to extend the life of your oil, and it's viscosity. Which do you think has more heat in it, the crank bearing or the head? My ride is easier to shift, gets in and out of reverse much better, and the life of the engine will proberly double.

How does that work with the big bear method.Does it have to be off a 35o bear? Doesnt it go where the oil filter goes on the left side with the cooler lines coming from it. Just wondered because I am definately going to add a cooler for my bike. its only out of pure respect.

How does that work with the big bear method.Does it have to be off a 35o bear? Doesnt it go where the oil filter goes on the left side with the cooler lines coming from it. Just wondered because I am definately going to add a cooler for my bike. its only out of pure respect.
it replaces the stock oil filter cover with one with 2 lines connected

I have the Big Bear cooler, and to have seen at least a 30* drop in temps. Cool oil is just that, cool oil. It helps to extend the life of your oil, and it's viscosity. Which do you think has more heat in it, the crank bearing or the head? My ride is easier to shift, gets in and out of reverse much better, and the life of the engine will proberly double.

Mickey Dunlap the guy who practically invented the oil cooler clutch mod for these Warriors says that the crank bearing needs the cooler oil much more than the head. Says that the crank bearing is one of main failures on these quads. I trust his word seeing that he has worked on thousands of Warrior motors over the years. BUT you are right, cool oil is cool oil. And any cooling will majorly help. Hell i havnt even done the mod yet so i cant really speak from experience, just research ive done on it.

Cool oil is cool oil. I've never heard of crank bearings being prone to premature failure on these bikes, due to hot oil/lack of lube. There are tons of warriors with their stock bottom end running around. My friends 88 is one of them. I just did that bike's 1st ever top end last April, and the crank and rod were AWESOME. Also, if you do the big bear mod it HAS to be from a 1995 or earlier bike. My oil filter adapter cam off a 93 moto4 350. I checked the part numbers and everything from 88 to 95 was the same, but double check for yourself before buying one.

im kinda curious if you could go the cheaper route on the big bear and just drill the filter cover and add fittings? Anyone seen something like that?

Wouldn't work because you have to have one outlet for the oil to enter the cooler and another to exit. Otherwise you'd loose oil pressure.

Back