Not your standard Blaster

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2kwarrior

Reaction score
This is my blaster AKA Frankenquad. It doesnt look like much but looks can be decieving. Its not running right now, needs a rebuild, but this summer it was surprising people at the dunes.
Its a 1988 with a 1971 Yamaha R5 350twin engine (2-Stroke). Pictures are kinda bad, but you can see the engine stuffed in there. Its at brothers shop right now with my other warrior.

blaster2.jpg

blaster3.jpg

blaster1.jpg

And the oily mess from when the left cylinder lost compression and started spitting unburned mix out the exhaust
blaster4.jpg

It was a fun little toy when it was running

I actually had to cut out part of the engine cradle and weld in new supports. weld new engine mounts in. Had to add a battery to it since the R5 engine requires a battery to run. Also had to add a regulator and rectifier, so the battery would charge. I had a lean condition in the left cylinder which melted and then broke the rings. A bore and new pistons and im good to go.

thats pretty sweet, how fast would that thing go??

Ya know, I never checked what the top speed was, But it is basically a banshee in blaster clothing. On the flats it stays with the banshee's, but when we drag up the bowls they would get me cause it still has the stock swinger on it and i have to keep getting off the throttle to bring the front back down.

thats pretty sweet man, you need to get that thing running a s a p

Ya thats a nice little hybrid you got, Is the plastic painted with flake paint? It looks pretty sweet.

Ya thats a nice little hybrid you got, Is the plastic painted with flake paint? It looks pretty sweet.

Its painted with that mirage paint that changes from red to blue depending on what angle you view it. Its been 9 months since its been painted and not a scratch or a flake. But it was just a dune quad too so i never have to worry about trees scratching it.

How much does that kind of paint cost? Oh and was there a lot of prep work before painting the plastic? thanks

it cost me a total of $40. had to buy 2 kits. All I did was wet sand the plastics with 400 grit to take the shine off, then wet sanded with 800 grit, followed with 1000 grit to get rid of the sanding scratches. then wiped the plastics down with thinner. then sprayed down the black base coat, followed with the color coat. The more coats you put on, the more dramatic the color shift is. then i sprayed the clear coat on and waited a week and waxed it. The kit includes the black base, the color, and the clear. I put alot of clear on it for 2 reasons. really brings the shine up and helps protect against scratches. But if you ride trails alot where your diving thru trees and brush then it will scratch and start to flake off.

Well i do ride through the woods and trails 99% of the time so i dont think im gona do that, but thanks for the info.

yo that thing is sick.....i want to do something crazy like that with the blaster i might be getting......that must be so fun to rip on

It is, the blaster is so light, that you can just throw it around and into any corner you want, and add a 350 twin in the mix and hold on. I look like this ;D when i would get done riding it.

thats kind of odd taking the smallest sport quad and putting an engine that goes as fast as a banshee. but if your a small guy that would be cool. the motor looks like it fits in there nicely!

thats kind of odd taking the smallest sport quad and putting an engine that goes as fast as a banshee. but if your a small guy that would be cool. the motor looks like it fits in there nicely!

Im not a small guy, im 6 foot 210 pounds. I got the blaster for free, it was just a frame when I got it. I picked up the R5 for $375 cause it had a bent frame. The small quad/big engine combo gives you a ride you would never forget. This is not something you want to attempt unless you can weld very well. I had to cut out the engine cradle, plus frame supports and weld in new pieces. You dont want any half ass welds, or you risk serious injury from frame failure.

Back