not sure whats wrong

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray93warrior

Reaction score
hi guys i have a 93 warrior. i put it away for the winter and recently took it back out. i winterized it before putting it away and took out the battery. went to start it the other day and when i hit the electric start it just makes a single click everytime i hit the electric start. it wont even try to turn over. what could this be? i was told it could be the battery. i dont think thats it its a brand new battery and i charged it up. the starter solenoid? idk lol. or the starter? idk either. you guys kno more about this stuff than me. Please email me at [email protected] with responses or respond on here. thank you in advance!

yeah sure sounds like the battery to me... but since you said it charged up then i may be something else.... its got to be something simple if it ran when when you parked it... no mice chewed wires did they?

everytime my has clicked like you said, it has always been a bad connection at the battery, even if the bolts are tight. we have owned my warrior since 1997 and never had the starter solenoid fail, but just bad connections, giving it the usual clicking sound. im not saying its your solenoid, but just double check all your connections and make sure they are tight and clean. if you still have problems, then try jumping your starter solenoid with a screwdriver or something and see if it spins over.

try a jump start, if it still makes the clicking noise you could give the starter a couple of taps with a rubber mallet or test the starter cause if you wack it too hard you can ruin the starter and wind up spending money on a part you didnt need

just take jumper cables and hook them to a car battery, then hook the other neg to you frame somewhere good, and connect the positve to the cable that is bolted to the starter... this is kinda sorta dangerous and there will most likely be some sparks involved so if something crazy happens any you blow your self up i am not resposible... but seriously i do it all the time with mowers and the like

alright ill try it this weekend. and what happens if it dont turn over it means the starters bad right?

yeah either the stater is bad or the engine is locked up....

all the starter is is an electric motor... when you put 12v to it it will spin reguards less of anything else (as long as the engine will spin)

the solenoid is really just a switch for high amperage... instead of running big wires all over the fourwheeler and requiring a heavy duty START switch.... what happens when you hit the start button is... 12v gets sent to the solenoid and runs thru a coil inside of there... when you run voltage thru a coil you create a magnent, this magenetic field pulls a shaft down, which in turn, makes contact between the two "big wire" posts... that allows the battery power to go straight to the starter... the batter power then spins the electric motor and ends up grounding into the motor... which ultimatly is connected to the neg side of the battery... does that make any sense? hahaha i just figure it is 1000x easier to find a problem when you understand how it is all supposed to work

i figured it out. it was a bad starter solenoid. took the one out of my friends and put it on mine started right up. i was sending power to it but it wasnt sending it. thanks for the help guys.

Back