NOS bottle goes boom!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathius

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here all relaxed, and I get a text from a good friend of mine. He tells me he just had a major **** up in his garage..
"Oh great" I'm thinking, "that's where my sled is". Sunuva bitch!

Turns out my sled is fine, but his didn't fair so well...
His GF bought him a new Boss Noss kit for his Nytro, as a christmas gift.
He had his sled sitting by a space heater in his garage, and the nos bottle heater wrap on.
He said he was watching TV when he heard a wicked pop out in his garage.
(I wish I could forward the pics he sent me, but my phone won't let me post them to photobucket.)
He had the bottle mounted under his gas tank, and it must have got really ****'n hot! It blew the hood all to hell, the gas tank (which was thankfully empty), and got part of the seat..

Moral to the story.. I guess nos can explode!!

He said he'll email me some pictures in the morning..

Yep it's a pressurized gas, add energy and its gonna want to expand exceeding the bottles rated pressure. Id like to see what the bottle looks like, I get to do things like this for a job

Well I have never heard of a nos tank blow'n up? Thats why I thought I would post it.. I really wish I could show you guys these pictures. It did at least $1500-2000 in damage to the sled.

Well it is flamable. Hence why it burns in an engine. Just needs to be heated up like that, and the temperature differential will make it blow. Like beastly said. Btw, this thread reminds me... anyone ever dettonate an air bag? It will go over 20 feet in the air! And that is what's hitting use in the face during an accident.

Well it is flamable. Hence why it burns in an engine

No, it's not. And "NOS" is a brand name, nitrous (N20) is the gas itself.

Yes it can explode, but it's not flammable. Just like a bottle of soda can 'explode'.

Ill have to ask the master tech at work, he races a drag car but im prity sure nos isnt flamable like that but presure is a diferent story!!! go boom..you beat me to it,,, thats what i thought..

Admin is right it won't catch fire.. It's an oxidizer, and will make a fire hotter.
The sled didn't catch fire, thats why I said "thank gawd there was no fuel in it"! lol

I bet this was more of a pressure failure than an explosion I would think a nitrogen oxide would take a lot more heat and a close open flame to pull the oxygen from the molecule

Well I did not know that. Learn something everyday. Makes sense that it would be flammable, though.

I bet this was more of a pressure failure than an explosion I would think a nitrogen oxide would take a lot more heat and a close open flame to pull the oxygen from the molecule

He was just tell'n me that he might have hooked it up wrong..
I was tell'n him that it shoulda had a pressure release on it somewhere, and maybe he had a bad bottle.. He should sue!! lol

Actually N2O is flammable but only under a high heat and pressure. Nitrogen oxides are always existant in chemical equations of automotive combustion. The main reason it is used is too add additional O2 to the reaction to allow more fuel to be added and burnt. It is sold in N2O as keeping it as pure O2 will be almost dangerous as in pure form is highly flammable

He was just tell'n me that he might have hooked it up wrong..
I was tell'n him that it shoulda had a pressure release on it somewhere, and maybe he had a bad bottle.. He should sue!! lol

Yes he should've, bottles holding anything compressed are required to have a relief valve to prevent something like this from happening. I hear pressure relief valves all day from out liquid nitrogen tanks

Yep the tanks at the Jennie o turkey factory a few blocks away from here release pressure a lot during the summer sounds like a ginormous loud pshoooooooooooooooooooo!!! for about 5 minutes at a time

Actually N2O is flammable but only under a high heat and pressure. Nitrogen oxides are always existant in chemical equations of automotive combustion. The main reason it is used is too add additional O2 to the reaction to allow more fuel to be added and burnt. It is sold in N2O as keeping it as pure O2 will be almost dangerous as in pure form is highly flammable

Sometimes its nice having an over achiever among us!!!! :haha:

J/K Beastly

Back