Noob and Tire choices

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reduxx

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been lurking on these forums for a while and need advice. I am 37 year old who just picked up a used warrior. I have not really ridden in 20 years. I got the warrior cause we used to ride sport bikes. But on trails in the ruts etc...my rear carrier bottoms out and gets hooked up....Everyone tells me to get a utility atv...but I love the warrior. My wife just got me some tires...22x11x9 Interco Swamp-lites. They have a real aggresive tread but are lower profile...I was thinking that I might be better served by some Maxxis 'Zilla at 25x11x9 to get through the rutty trails and maybe not get stuck as much...Just interested in your thoughts. I know I will be giving up a little torque and wheely capability...but is my thinking all wrong about getting a little more ground clearence?
Thanks very much

i have a buddy that runs 25's on his warrior

he can go through alot of holes and whatnot alot ezer than i can , i run 20's and 22's

now im not sayin i like the 25's ... but if muddin and deep ruts is what u like ...over speed and carvin it up
than i would say yea go with the 25's......its all a personal choice i think

by the way where r u from reduxx

The 25's would only be a last resort to keep the sport quad, in my opinion. It's going to screw up your performance so much it'll end up making the warrior ride like a utility anyways. I don't know how you are but it's going to kick the back end higher and I personally hate that riding position, it's also going to slow you down, make it unstable in corners, and it'll be harder on the clutch, bearings, and everthing else. If I were in your postion, I think I would set out looking for a 1st generation Wolverine. They're built with basically the same 350 powerplant as the warrior, and about the same dimensions, but shaft driven, 24" tires stock, auto clutch, and just all-around better for rutted up trail riding than any sport quad. The best thing about them is that any of the motor work available for the warrior including the 446 kits, cams, carbs, etc will work with the Wolvy. They are full time 4x4 stock but you can get a warn 424 select which lets you pop it into 2 wheel for sport riding and just drop it back in 4x4 when you really need it. The Wolvy weighs about 500 lbs, so it's 100 lbs heavier than the warrior but still about 100 lbs lighter than a standard 400 4x4, decent middle ground.

That's my 2 cents. The Warrior is a good all-around machine but no real sport quad is going to do well in the conditions you're talking about, that's 4x4 territory for sure. You'll probably be happier with something better suited for what you're doing instead of trying to make the warrior work.

You can put mud tires on a Geo Metro but that don't make it a Jeep.

First off, welcome to the site! :cool:

yamha has a very valid response as usual, but I'm all warrior so here's my input. I ride 22" rears and also ride some really nasty ass rutted rocky crap too. Got myself a great skid plate and as long as I have the speed and the right path picked out, I can pretty much make it through most anything. Momentum is key!

And a Geo Metro with mud tires sounds like a fun time!

Thanks very much guys...My brother has said the same thing...."Man it is about momentum....get some speed and push through" I really appreciate you sharing your experience...I think I will try to ride a little better and if I find that I am still getting in trouble I will definitely look into a wolverine.
Thanks again

My fried has a walvarine or how ever you spell it and its only 2 wheel drive though?

wolverine! lol! go back to 2nd grade and learn to spell again. ;D and if looking for a great mud, rough terrian tire look into the GBC Afterburner or X-Rex . speed and momentum is your best friend! the more you ride, the more you will learn how to deal with tougher conditions.

dude ...the childish insults arent really nessasary are they?

granted people do say some dumb thing on here from time to time , but we are all(suppose to be) here
to offer help for all..

as simple miss spelt word isnt really that big of a deal is it??

hell i miss spell half of what i type all the time

hey by the way, Tyler and i are good friends! :p and we are always messing with each other!

<----------- See :-*

Haha Thats great but just to let everyone know we are NOT boyfriends!!! lol And i was sitting in class on my phone on the internet and that damn phone is hard to use lol

All Wolverines up until around 2005 were 4 wheel drive, that's when Yamaha went through their whole lineup and raptor-ized everything, made everything look the same. The 2nd generation Wolverine 350 is 2 wheel drive and automatic, automatic also sucking it up even more. The 1st generation wolvy 350's are faster than the 2nd gen wolvy despite the extra weight from the 4x4 system, and aren't far behind the 450 while still being a better all-around machine.

So Tyler, either you're confused and your "boyfriend haha" doesn't have an older Wolverine, or his has missing parts. My money is on it being a different older Yamaha, a Timberwolf or Bear Tracker, perhaps?

Back