No Spark!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorRider80

Reaction score
Rode about 2 weeks ago, everything was fine. went to start it today and it wouldnt. pulled the plug it was flooded. changed plug, did the old test against the frame and realized i wasnt getting any spark. nothing grounded out anywhere, all connections are good. good power from the battery, lights work. Any ideas? Maybe coil? dont have a volt meter. Stator?

Yep, took the coil off, filed the connectors, sprayed with contact cleaner...nothing. I saw where you posted to someone else about checking for worn wires so i did that, all good there.

then you need to go and get yourself an OHM meter and test the stator and coil and go from there
A new Digital OHM meter at Wal-Mart is like $15

here is all the info on testing the stator with an Ohm meter

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.
Here is all the info you'll need to test the stator with an OHM meter.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

will do, most likely the stator from what i've been reading. doesnt seem like just the coil goes out very often. if it is the stator, is ebay the place to look? im not paying 3-600 bucks for a factory replacement, i only paid 1300 for the bike to begin with. i saw some "kits" on ebay with the solenoid, coil, and stator for around $100 bucks. sound like a winner or no?

I've Bought 2 of the Caltric brand Stators one in my buddys 94 and one in my 01 and haven't had any problems they have the same 1 year warranty as the high priced RM stators so I stand by them
I've also bought a Caltric starter and the bearings went after the 1st month and they replaced it for free and haven't had any issues with the new one

will do, most likely the stator from what i've been reading. doesnt seem like just the coil goes out very often. if it is the stator, is ebay the place to look? im not paying 3-600 bucks for a factory replacement, i only paid 1300 for the bike to begin with. i saw some "kits" on ebay with the solenoid, coil, and stator for around $100 bucks. sound like a winner or no?

Usually when the stators go bad you will get sporadic or weak spark, not jst good one day then gone the next. But, if your numbers test bad, the pulser coil is typically the part that goes bad on them, not the whole thing. New pulser coils are cheap too, I'd splice it in and I bet it would work just fine.

i just went ahead and ordered a stator off ebay for $90. figure ill just replace it and when i test the other one if i find its not bad then i atleast have a backup. I need to just start stockpiling parts anyway. Looking like winter is gonna be pretty fun here in PA.

no spark

hi guys ! working on my father inlaws 87 warrior . we put a new stator new and head gasket . the old stator had all cut wires for the chain coming off . so i have no spark any ideas! when i turn the key on my 96 you hear the relay click but does not when i turn it on the 87 ?

Im new to the hole warrior thing mine was blown up and given to me but first thing i had to do was a battery and still nothing worked no lights nothing, if yours is like this i recomend you pulling off the hood and look at the plug that goes to the key switch, i found my plug was tarnished and after cleaning it, it worked, lights came on and all..

there was a hacked key switch . so i put a key switch from my 91 plug is the same. the only wire difference is the black and black/red are reversed with black and black/white but i dont think thats it. i will check the grounds thank any ideas welcomed !

Back