no spark??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89shee

Reaction score
:'(hey guys i just got a 1992 yamaha warrior from a buddy of mine. it has a white bros pipe k&n air filter and thats it. i was rippin around on it ran great. washed itand got all the wires in the back because they were covered with mud i started it up and put it away for the night next morning it wouldnt start. i have no spark whatsoever.the wire that hooks to the negative on the battery is a little frayed but all lights turn on. my dad said it could be a bad ground. what does this mean. he said that since the wire is frayed it could be it. the bike turns over but will not sputter. im new to 4 strokes so any help would be appreciated thanks guys and great forum

yea it being frayed could be a problem you could try to wiggle that wire around while you try to start it and see if that does anything,a bad ground could cause it also i would just check your wiring something prolly just got wet and you might have blew a fuse or something check under your left rear fender the wiring there might have got wet or something

if i blew a fuse on this thing where would it be? im just stumped and just got it 2 days ago so this isnt looking good but its an awesome bike when its going

under the left rear fender its shaped kinda like a big rubber pill i guess....its got a fuse inside pull it out and see what it looks like

the fuse looks fine i showed my dad who is a car mechanic and he said it looks good so i guess its something else.he said it could be a bad ground but i just wanna get some more info on all this

a bad ground means its shorting itself out when your trying to start it

make sure they are grounded properly, and the pos. isnt touching any metal

nope the positive is touching no metal at all. i hope i didnt burn my cdi out or something

today i was messing with it and theres 2 little black boxes under the left fender and one of the wires ripped out from it put it in and the nuetral light came on took it out and it shut off . well my retard brother took the wire that came out of it and stuck it to the celenoid.it sparked and that was it tried puching the button and nothing!! the nuetral light wont turn on or anything now im just getting further and further back from the problem. does anyone have any clue what im talking about> or whats it called and what does it do? i wanna get this thing going fast because i have a riding trip this weekend... ughh

yea thats i think the starter relay box...thats supposed to be plugged in the little box in fit inside that rubber grommet...and that spark might have finally blew that fuse...lol that light needs to come on in order for it 2 start...make sure both those relays are intact and the wires are ok and make sure that solenoid is plugged in with a good fuse...

could something happen to the relays that would cause it not to get spark or turn over now? im gonna change the fuse today and see if something works. now i just cant get the damn thing to turn over without touching the celenoid with a screw driver...

yup you blew the fuse or a relay...the starter relay thats what that spark was...if you gotta touch that solenoid that holds the fuse with a screwdriver in order 4 it 2 turn over then its blown...cuz when u use the screwdriver its bypassing the fuse...

ok so the starter relay would cause me to lose spark? sorry new at this

yea if that starter relay is messed up its not gonna start....i dont even think any of the power will work...so id try and fix if i were you ull know when it works when your green light comes on then see if it wants 2 start...

thanks im gonna try and get another one anywhere i can get one besides the dealer? i checked ebay but found nothing

ok say your fuse and fuse holder is fine? its not blown? you should replace it anyway to make sure...but the relays themself id ont think you can buy them separate youll have to buy new harness....but just fix the existing wiring...

nope its fine im gonna try and find the relays but if not im gonna get a complete harness now i need to find out whats not causing it to spark everyone i talked to said it should still have spark if you jump it with the cylenoid

it may or it may not, troubleshoot one thing at a time...it might not send a singal to tell the ign. coil to create a spark unless those relays and solenoid are working correctly...im nt rly sure, i dont know a whole lot about the wiring knowledge aspect of the ole warriors...lol but if i were you fix one thing at a time then analye...if you fix those wires then still no spark...then start trouble shooting other things....stator,ign. coil,grounds, and such other things

91warrior357 said:
yup you blew the fuse or a relay...the starter relay thats what that spark was...if you gotta touch that solenoid that holds the fuse with a screwdriver in order 4 it 2 turn over then its blown...cuz when u use the screwdriver its bypassing the fuse...

When you jump the solenoid like this you are bypassing the solenoid not the fuse. If you jumped the solenoid with a bad fuse then you wouldn't have any power through it to run the starter.
So by doing this is basically telling you if the solenoid is good or bad if all other things in the circuit are ok.
This really has nothing to do with if the engine has got spark.

89shee said:
nope its fine im gonna try and find the relays but if not im gonna get a complete harness now i need to find out whats not causing it to spark everyone i talked to said it should still have spark if you jump it with the cylenoid

Yes they are to seprate circuits. Starting and igntion. So basically you can jump the solenoid to turn the engine over to see if you have spark and it doesn't effect the igntion circuit. But you know something in the igntion circuit is bad. I would start simple and work up.
The manual you can download on this site will tell you what you need to know. If you can't understand it, then off to someone who can help you.
Alot of sugestions about being a ground wire or fuse is all wrong. If the lights come on and starter turns over it completely elimates the ground wires, starter, fuse.. and everything in the starting circuit because it is operating correctly.

Back