No Dash Lights/No Start Button?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerman2701

Reaction score
Hey guys just picked up a warrior. Got it for cheap but it doesnt run. So I did some initial test on it.

Good Spark
Compression 121psi
Clean Carb

So with the basics out of the way I need some help on what to do next.

For some reason the neutral light doesnt work, tried another bulb no luck. Also the start button doesnt work as well. I had to jump the solenoid with a screw driver to get it to turn over.

When I jumped the solenoid it had good constant spark so not sure what the issue is?

Any ideas on why the neutral/start button are not working? I am pretty dumb with electrical but I have checked for burnt/broken wires and also put a new 15amp fuse in with no luck.

These were the new fuses I purchased.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...3jkw4nEdUyzeZLz-MenFLzoqt0byiKpsqBBoCodHw_wcB

For the starter button- check along the wire as it goes down the steering stem. It may be worn in a spot and rubbing somewhere. I had an issue with mine and put a plastic wire loom around it and it fixed it. Here's a link to what I used http://www.extremetacticaldynamics....q-U3_oBv6kRQ18AuQ_Qh0V7mwmrujEkIdgBoCIRXw_wcB

The neutral light wire runs down by the shifter. Check to see if everything is attached and straight. When I bought my quad, it didn't work even after swapping the bulb. I then noticed I needed a new neutral switch assembly after checking down there

Thanks for the reply!

I checked the wires from the switch down to the main harness and found no bare wires or broken cables. I even took the connector apart and cleaned it out really good with no luck.

Also with the neutral switch. I followed that wire as well and it is connected to the bottom of the engine right by the shifter.

I talked to the previous owner and he told me the last time he remembers the battery was hooked up backwards.

Would this just blow the fuse or cause more damage? I was thinking maybe the CDI might have got burnt up? Not sure if tha t would effect the neutral light and the start button?

If you have spark, the cdi is not fried. Check the wire that runs from the start button back to the solenoid. Unplug it and use a test light or multimeter to see if it has power when pushing the start button. If it shows power when using the button, run a jumper wire from where it plugs into the lead from the solenoid ( the connection you unplugged the wire coming back from the start button) and touch it to the pos battery terminal and see if the engine cranks. If it doesn't crank you may have a bad solenoid. Well, maybe I should first ask if you have power to anything else, such as do the headlights work? I wonder if you have a power supply issue.

Last edited:
Will give that a try! The quad does not have headlights so I am not sure if they work or not.

I was thinking maybe the fuses I bought at advance (link above in previous reply) might be wrong? Maybe too short? Maybe that would cause the dash and start button to fail?

Not sure if those glass tube fuses come in various sizes?

Not sure what I did but the start button and light work now.. Weird.

Well now you have a couple choices. 1- stick your head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong and hope it keeps working. 2- check and clean all connections check your grounds (bad grounds are usually the culprit), test your wires for continuity, check all your switches. If you just let it go I promise it will pop up again and bite you in the ass at the worst possible time.

Yup, gonna trace all wires and connections while i wait for my new bearings and carb boot to come in.

Lastly, does anyone know the reverse light bulb #? The current one has the glass broken.

Thanks for all the help!

Back