New Warrior owner w/ questions.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

Reaction score
I just picked up a 96 Warrior that needs some work. Main problem is that the exhaust/head bolts were broken off. One had enough sticking out that I could remove it, but the other was snapped at the head. I was able to drill the bolt but an e-z out wouldn't remove it. I am to the point that I'm between a helicoil or just drill it out to the alluminum and tap that. Any suggestions?

Also, the rear shock is shot (very springy)...what are the options with this...rebuild or just replace?

helicoil will probably work for you. and pick up a banshee rear shock. they're better than warrior stockers.

Yeah, heli-coil it. If you re-tap it, you will have to find another style of thread/bigger bolt to get in there.

You can go with a banshee (any year) rear or a 2001 Raptor 660 shock. There are multiple write ups on here about shock choices. Warrior stockers are very stiff and most riders don't like the ride.

Thanks for the input guys. My buddy bought the bike new and it's sat for a while, so there are a lot of little things that keep popping up on it.

Anyone know off hand what thread the exhaust studs are?

Go with time-serts instead of helicoils. More money, but a far superior product.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

BTW...I did some work not far from Gilbert on what some of the locals called Big Branch? It's a Georgia Pacific landfill off rt97. Beautifull area, but it sucks for cell phone service. :)

I say go with the 2001 raptor 660 shock but that personal preference just like going to the banshee rear shock it....

I got the hole cleaned up last night and run a 1/4-28 tap down the hole...it seems to hold pretty tight. I may give that a try and just keep an eye on it for a while.

Next is to order an exhaust gasket and intake manifold. After I hear it fire up, then I'll start ordering shocks and bearings....Between the front wheels, a-arms and rear shock link bearings, I'm going to be broke.

IT'S ALIVE......

Got the beast back together and she fired right up. The starter is a little noisy, but other than that, sounds good. Now to order other goodies.

Back to the starter...it makes a rather loud clank/bang if it doesn't stat and you leave off the starter, and sometimes when you shut the bike off. I pulled the starter and all looks good. I even pulled the side case and the starter gears all look good. Any guesses?

mine made a weird sound to but i would always start right up and ran fine so i say dont worry about it.

thats the warriors one way starter clutch set up thats so noisy its very common, alot of warriors will make a loud clank sound when shut off also, its the little sprag type clutch on the back of the stator hub that makes alot of the sound.

After a few little odds and ends, I finally got to take the Warrior out for a real ride last night. Doesn't run too bad...pretty good actually. Seems to be geared a little low though. I am going to need to replace the rear sprocket soon, so I'll look at changing a tooth or 3.

It does have an annoying oil drip though...looks like it is coming from the neutral switch. Is this something common? Any fixes?

Neutral switch oil drip? Not familiar but I'm guessing just a bad gasket/seal.

Maybe it isn't the neutral switch....there is a sensor (?) above the shifter...looks like that is where the oil is coming from.

I stand corrected. Yes, that is the neutral sensor. I believe that is a bolt in type sensor, you can tighten it up.

It's a re thread. And thread that is hollow with a threaded inside. Its what you put in stripped out holes to be able to get the same bolt size back in it.

hmmm i might have to get one of them! i have a messed up thread on my engine where the carb intake boots bolts on cause the previous owner used a self tapering metal screw....whose threads were not even close to what they shouldbe

Back