New Toy?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfield44

Reaction score
I think I may be getting another quad if it all checks out. I found an 04 YFZ for 3k; it could be a fun little project. The bike has a full yosh, proflow with K&N, AC nerfs w/pro-pegs, armidillo bumper, PRM skids, bomb squad graphics, and comes with light block offs (has only one headlight at the moment). It is supposed to have a high compression piston according to ad, but it didn't state the compression (hopefully it's stock). It is supposed to only have around 12 rides on it (looks true from stock tread on tire, but who knows), but one headlight is busted and the rear grab bar is bent up ( Hopefully the sub frame isn't).
It needs a new battery, so it probably has the charging problem.

Does this sound like a good deal to you guys?

I am waiting on an e-mail to get an answer to my questions, then will be going to see it in person. I think I am going to take a leak down tester, to help check it out.
Does anyone know of anything in particular I should look for when I go to check it out.
I know the 04s had charging problems, and the oiler deal (but I would be getting the 07 oiler upgrade anyway).
Did they have some sort of water pump problem?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

I know they made a lot of changes since 04, but the price jumps with the year, and there is always something new and better coming out. I am planning on getting an 09 when they drop. I would be setting up the 04 to ride on the hard top (for shits and giggles, and to save gas around home). I figure if ole' dude is asking 3k I can probably get it for less than that.
I really just don't like the way a 450r rides/feels. Honda's usually run forever though.
ab0e_1.jpg

I am just looking for something to piddle with until the 09 models drop and I can figure out what I want.

yeah but it may be alot of trouble until you can get an 09 for a decent price..personally..if you want an 09 bad..just wait or get something newer than the 04...not trying to shoot it down..just how I would feel about it

Go for it dude! Yes granted the 04 was the first year, but they still are a good bike and 3k is a good price.

yeah but it may be alot of trouble until you can get an 09 for a decent price..personally..if you want an 09 bad..just wait or get something newer than the 04...not trying to shoot it down..just how I would feel about it

I feel what your saying, but I am looking at this bike as something to piddle with. That way if I destroy it; it's not that big of a deal. The newer a bike I look at the higher the price will be, therefore a loss would hurt much more.
It's hard to tell though; the bike may be junk!
That is why I have some questions and when I go to look it over I'll run a leak down test. I plan on getting an 09 when they drop regardless of whether or not I get this one. If I wait until I can get an 09 for a decent price the 2010 will be out (If ya want the latest and greatest ya gotta be ready to pay a little more for it) . Even if it does blow up I still got my warrior and 2 utilities I can ride. Plus I can still use the chassis as the beginning of a hybrid, or it makes a good excuse to send the motor off to get completely re-worked and hopped up.
Ole' dude also said the reason he is selling is to get out from under the payment, and he just bought a R1. So I am hoping I can actually get it for some where around 2500. Time will tell.

I am trying to lower the risk of that by doing a leak down test when I go look at it. That should tell me if the rings and valves are sealing like they should, and if they are not it should help too tell what is letting the compression drop.

~10% leak down is when a rebuild is mandatory?

Does anyone else know of any good engine diagnostic tests (fairly simple) I could do when I go to look at the bike. Any way of checking to see if the bike has the charging problem, like checking with a meter?

I know the basics of using a meter, and I know the problem has to do with the rectifier, but I am not sure on how to go about checking the rectifier. Anyone here know?

I have an 04 and i wouldnt stay away from it, As long as you check it over maintain it do all the recomended mods , Oil mod, cam mod, those it will be a fine bike and just as reliable as any other bike.They had a few small bugs but if its low hours like stated they most likely havent shown yet and now you can do some of those mods and have a tip top bike. go on yfz central to ask these kind of Q's they are much more helpfull and know quite a bit more about these bikes then the few how posted here. Go for it man youll love it add another yama to the fam.

Get it dude there is only a small batch of 04's with those problems. Most people blow that way out of proportion. You are correct there is the oiler problem <--easy fix and the charging issue <--- easy to fix, just buy an 06 rectifier and you should be good. I see them on yfzcentral for 20.00 all the time.

My buddy has an 04 that he rides harder and rougher than anyone I know and that thing is still the same beast it was when it was built. Zero problems with charging and oiler and his tranny is still tip top. DO IT!!!!! 3k down to 2700 and you have yourself a fast machine. For your info though 09 will not have efi.

AGREED ^ like he said its blown outta porportion i ride mine hard and have had for a wile no and yet to have any problem and i am the 2nd owner.

I'm supposed to go look at it this weekend. Ole' dude drives cross-country so he can be a little hard to catch home :)

Ole Dude was trying to pull a fast one. Bike appeared in good shape, but motor was not right. I believe needs the head rebuilt. Just going to wait till the 09s come out.

I wouldn't buy anything used, just wait and save the extra $$$ on a new one. Remember you can at least squeeze the price down by a 1,000 minimum buy paying in cash. When my best friend bought his warrior he had the salesman sweating, I don't think they made much on him... ;D

Yeah, a lot of people bug out when they see a fair amount of cash; it's scary how much is bought on credit.

Back