new throttle cable

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon1owens

Reaction score
i bought a 2000 warrior about a month ago and the throttle cable was crap and i finally put a new one on. i sprayed a little carb cleaner all over to clean it up a little bit and after it was all back together it accelerates randomly when I'm riding. when i was putting it back together there was a little rubber boot sitting in bottom where the cable goes and all the manuals i can find don't show it in there. i put the cable through it thinking it fell off when i took it apart and didn't see it.

Not all the times, I can be goin' straight too. It's usually after I'm going full throttle. It's like the cable gets stuck, but it's not.

then it sounds to me like your valve is getting stuck in your carb, clean your carb and then see how it works!

i cleaned it with carb cleaner when i changed the cable. it made it a little looser after i cleaned it. maybe it needs more?

When you say cleaned it, you took the carb off the bike and took it all apart and sprayed it all out and cleared the jets, right?

Re lube your cable, prop the back end up off the ground and get the bike running and then try and recreate the throttle stick to see if its getting caught up somewhere.

the cables brand new so i know thats fine cuz i was playin with it b4 i put it in. next time i go over there i'll try that if i can find a manual on it. any suggestions on where to find one for it online?

could it be the hoses coming off it ain't ran right? i know what 2 of them are but the third idk. ones fuel coming from the tank, the long skinny one is an overflow, and the third is a short skinny one. i'm not sure about that one because it looked like it was pinched between something and i just ran it up and left it hang up there.

Check the intake manifold (rubber thing between carb and head) for cracks. They're prone to cracking on warriors, and moving the carb around to install the cable is easily enough to disturb one that's already old and brittle and make it crack. When those crack it'll make the quad do all kinds of crazy **** as the gap opens and closes when the carb bounces around.

when i took the carb off it looked like it was in pretty good shape but i'll look at that first. be a few days before i go look at it cuz my wife is sick.

On the left side of the carb take that black plastic piece off that covers the whole side of the carb and clean everything inside there. Something might have got inside there and that would make your throttle stick since that's where all the moving mechanical parts are located.

only thing i took apart on it was where the cable goes. i might be selling it and getting something 4x4. it isn't going to handle that well where we ride.

would it hurt it to wrap the exhaust with exhaust heat wrap near the air box? never did it or seen it on a atv so idk if it would mess something up

No, no reason that you can't. Some heat tape on the airbox should be enough though, that's what it comes with from the factory.

the old airbox had heat tape on it and the whole side of it melted through and a little bit of the plastic is melted. could it be the wrong pipe for the bike?

Either it has or has had an aftermarket exhaust that was too close to the plastic parts, or it was running too lean and got that pipe hotter than it ever should be. Possibly running lean because of an aftermarket exhaust and no rejetting. Hard to say without more info. Bottom line though, with a proper fitting exhaust and proper jetting you won't even need heat tape on the airbox. Mine never did with the stock or HMF exhaust and nothing ever melted and that heat tape was gone when I bought the quad.

i don't know if its been jetted or not. i'm going to be going over to my cousins tomorrow so i'll take pics tomorrow and try to find out the pipe. its a slip on i know that much and it has a k&n airfilter. i gotta clean the carb better tomorrow so i'll look at the numbers on the jets. i'm just happy i didn't mess up the engine b4 i looked at that. got it stuck in a creak with water up to the seat.

it has a dg slip on pipe on it and i pulled the old box out and idk if it was melted or cut with like a soldering iron because there isn't any melted plastic any where on the bike or pipe. didn't get a chance to take pictures of it hadda take my girl home because she got sick. next time i'll take pics. cuz its still in pieces.

its looks like this one without the big dings in it.
warriorexhaust.jpg

Back