New rings break in period advise please

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc63670

Reaction score
Ok reassembling both warriors this week. Just had a thought and thought I'd ask. What do you guys think is the best way to break in a new set of rings on these things? Every race car engine I've ever built I break them in home I'm going to run them. But I'm not sure how these engines and rings will hold up to that. Any input and advise is appreciated.

Break them in hard and change the oil after the first 30 minutes
WOT runs and engine braking are the best way to break it in, because the engine braking sucks the micro metal shavings out the exhaust instead of it going in the oil. Don't overrev it though

I run mine for roughly twenty minutes or so in neutral, with a fan blowing on it, just workin the throttle. Bring it up into half throttle and hold it for several seconds, let if return to idle, do it again, hit WOT for a sec, return to idle, etc... Working the throttle allows oil to be sucked up onto the rings, piston skirt, cylinder wall, etc.. I like to ride no more then 3/4 throttle for the first few hours of riding, varying the engine speed, etc...

Mine got broke in at Hatfield just riding and doing a mix of everything. I usually like to let and engine have a couple of heat cycles under it's belt before I really run the piss out of it though.

Oh is that what that was when we rode there Saturday on the asphault, and you tried to out run me, and I just pulled away ;p

Oh is that what that was when we rode there Saturday on the asphault, and you tried to out run me, and I just pulled away ;p

It's funny you mentioned that and not the following day when I busted your ass with a Holeshot so bad you were nowhere in sight! Guys, let him tell ya about the Part where we'd ran a damn 1/4 mile down through the trails with both bikes running great; we bump em off and suddenly your **** has problems. Dude, were great friends but you're not going to one up my bike, I outweigh you by 50# and that Lil shot on the blacktop was nothing, when you ran out of breath my bike hadn't even quit pulling. Bring that **** back and I'll drag your ass again!

It's funny you mentioned that and not the following day when I busted your ass with a Holeshot so bad you were nowhere in sight! Guys, let him tell ya about the Part where we'd ran a damn 1/4 mile down through the trails with both bikes running great; we bump em off and suddenly your **** has problems. Dude, were great friends but you're not going to one up my bike, I outweigh you by 50# and that Lil shot on the blacktop was nothing, when you ran out of breath my bike hadn't even quit pulling. Bring that **** back and I'll drag your ass again!

HAHA I love when someone say they beat ya when you arent racing but when you line up to race and get there ass spanked they all off a sudden forget about that lmao.. On top of that the forget about the weight ratio.. Id love to run my 3500 up graded quad against his 6 grand in up grades and someone with the same wait bet you hed lose stroker vs stroker hahahaha:atv:

Woah woah woah, back up a tick, hold the phone, calm the **** down! I only had problems because I somehow got water in my air box, and she was trying to become a bilge pump, lol. And, I didn't run out of breathe on the asphault. I didn't even top out, I let off the throttle beacuse your ass had already been burnt bad enough, and we are supposed to obay the speed limit. I'm not getting kicked off the trails because I decided to be Speed Racer on the road.

The part that James is leaving out, is that I was in 4th and walked away from him, and he was in what? 3rd, I believe? And when I say walked away, I mean one minute he's runnin next to me and goading me on, the next, I swatched him just slip backward. It was actually really cool.

Besides, we have to run again now that the water is out of my air box. lol

Also, let us not forget how James litterally "fell off the map".

Last edited:
HAHA I love when someone say they beat ya when you arent racing but when you line up to race and get there ass spanked they all off a sudden forget about that lmao.. On top of that the forget about the weight ratio.. Id love to run my 3500 up graded quad against his 6 grand in up grades and someone with the same wait bet you hed lose stroker vs stroker hahahaha:atv:

I didn't even remember the drag race, that really didn't happen, seeing as how I mother nature kept me out of it.

And, what is all this ganging up **** on me? Never said my bike is so badass that it never loses, or that it can beat anyone inparticular. I don't really care id I win or loose, it's all for fun. If I'm not havin fun there is no point in me doing it.

Nobody is ganging on you dude, I'm just tired of the one up bullshit! I'm honestly sad that you think your bike really is the **** dude,.all I've heard about is Stroker power and I'm over it. When we meet again have your best tune, lose 5 more lbs, put extra air in the tires, whatever you have to do b/c I'm going to bust your ass and settle it!

And you weren't in 4th gear, I didn't believe it then and still don't. I heard you shift 3 times, you can't do that from 4th.

Last edited:
Nobody is ganging on you dude, I'm just tired of the one up bullshit! I'm honestly sad that you think your bike really is the **** dude,.all I've heard about is Stroker power and I'm over it. When we meet again have your best tune, lose 5 more lbs, put extra air in the tires, whatever you have to do b/c I'm going to bust your ass and settle it!

And you weren't in 4th gear, I didn't believe it then and still don't. I heard you shift 3 times, you can't do that from 4th.

Hey can we save this for when I come down next year PLEASE :evilface:

I never said that my bike is the ****. I just said that I loved the powerband it gave me. I just like the power better over the stock crank. I was in 4th. That 3rd shift you heard was me thinking there was one more gear, and I found there wasn't. I do it everytime I ride, because I can never remember what gear I'm in. That's why I remember I was in 4th that day, because I was surprised.

Last edited:
haha, i love reading this! Reminds me of a local kid with his modded yfz450 racing against my kfx 468 stroker. We do alot of racing the 300ft drag in my hay field and when everybody lets off at the end he finally passes me and thinks he won. haha. That or he has an excuse EVERY time he loses a race. Spin, wheelie, or something. The best part is that he still thinks I am running the 434. He doesn't know about the stroker yet, haha. He just can't figure out why a 434 kfx and beat his yfz.:haha:

Lol, gotta love the racing back and forth.

Btw thanks guys for all the advise. Bike is running like a champ again. Now ill just have to remember its not a submarine and have to do it all over again.

Back