New rear caliper, brake won't pump fluid

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo4585

Reaction score
Problem. I bought my 06 Raptor without a rear caliper on it. Previous owner said it was frozen. So I got around to buying a brand new one and just put it on today. The thing is, I filled rear resevoir and began pumping to bleed em, but no fluid makes it to the bleed screw and it doesn't get even the slightest bit harder and it's not accepting fluid through the lines. No air bubbles at the resevoir when i pump either. I pump and pump and pump, had a partner hold the pedal, then cracked the screw. Nothing. I'm familiar with bleeding brakes and I read the manual on how to bleed for my quad.

Is it possible that there is so much air in the lines, it won't suck down any new fluid? Mind you that the brake line went unhooked to a caliper for who knows how long and the resevoir was dry. Do I possibly get some sort of syringe and force fluid through the bleed screw to prime it? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hmm if that line was up plugged for even a short ride it could have gotten easily plugged. And when u try and bleed it ur getting no where. Maybe take the line off and try and blow it out with compressed air?

X2
Remove hose from master cylinder, douche it out with brake cleaner, then air.
Give the master a pump while you're there.
Could be dirt, spider eggs or a swelled/collapsed hose too.

Just keep it away from that clean caliper...

Take the cap of the reservoir and find something to hold the brake peddle down, let it set over night, try bleeding it in the morning air will rise out throught the reservoir. Some one mentioned it on her with the front brakes and it worked great cant see why it wouldnt work on the back .

When I out my new front lines on I pumped them for about 20 min with no luck. So what I did was cracked open the bleeder and put about 3ft of clear hose on it, then have some one press the pedel and suck on it. with the clear hose you will see the fluid long before you get a mouth full. tighten bleeder up, fill master cyinder and your done. but 1st make sure nothin is pluged up

If it has been setting a while, make sure the plunger that the pedal is pushing on is not stuck. I had the same problem. I took the plunger off by removing the rubber cap, taking it off of the pedal, and removing the locking ring around the piston and it all comes a part. I had to spray some penitrating oil in cylinder and work piston with a screw driver to get it to work. After it was all back together, slow pumps of the pedal help me build pressure to bleed the brakes and get a firm pedal.

Thanks

Thank you for all the input and suggestions. I got it working today. I feel a little retarded because it turned out to be only air in the lines. But since it was bone dry, it took a REDICULOUSLY long time to bleed or even feel any pressure.

I can't imagine how long it would've taken if I didn't use the 3ft of clear rubber hose to suck through to bleeder screw and prime the lines/caliper like you suggested Elwood. It helped a lot. After 5 minutes of sucking, my lungs felt like they were gonna explode and I'm not a smoker, lol.

Thanks again everyone for helping.

I'd invest in a "Mighty Vac" vaccum pump.

I use it for all my quads/bikes/cars. I did all 3 of my brakes on the warrior yesterday in 1 hour. That was a complete flush and fill.

Back