new oil pressure gauge installed

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91warrior

Reaction score
well i finally have my second gauge installed. its not 100% installed yet but it wont take long to finish it up. the highest reading i have yet is 65 psi. but i havent held it WOT yet because i havent taken it on a ride yet. the gauge light up looks awesome, i cant wait to completely finish this up and take it for a ride. (i know i really need to take of those stupid warning labels on the fenders and for some reason the video camera really picks up the ticking of the engine, but it doesnt sound nearly that bad in person)

(to the moderators-sorry if this in the wrong spot, i wasnt sure exactly where to post at)

here is a video of the warrior running to show what it does:

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo47/91warrior/?action=view&current=MVI_0762.flv

this is a night view of the gauge, for some reason it came out really blurry no matter what i did but it gives you an idea. im going to be replacing my oil temperature gauge to the exact style of gauge sometime in the future

1226091949.jpg

Hey that's cool i do have a question though. when you put your oil temp guage in the fender did you put something behind it to protect the back of the gauge. I do alot of trail riding through the woods and we make our own trails. I thought of putting the temp gauge on but was wondering if you had problems with things hitting the back of the gauge.

yea i put a plastic cap (made out of a plastic container with the bottom cut to fit for example) on the back and silicone very thing real good to keep water and mud out. on the back side of the fender its not that pretty to look at but you really dont see it. i also do a ton of woods riding and have never had a problems with something hitting the temperature gauge. the back side gets covered in mud but if you make a cap to fit the back and silicone it good, nothing will get in. but the most problem i have with the gauges is mud and water want to site on the face of the gauge and a lot of times mud will completely cover the front of the gauge that you cant even tell its there till you clean it off, thats the only annoying part. i want to make something to cover the front of that gauge that is clear so you can see the gauge but havent thought of anything yet, does anybody have any good ideas what i could do there?

the only thing that worries me with this oil pressure gauge is its just a plastic line for the gauge and im afraid something might happen to it and the line break, that plastic line isnt nearly as tough as copper line that is used for the oil temperature gauge. i do have a plug im going to carry with me if something ever happens so i can disconnect the line and plug the oil t-fitting so i can keep riding. but only time will tell, ill keep ya posted to see how the oil pressure gauge holds up. next summer will be 5 years the oil temperature gauge will be on with no problems at all, so i hope this one lasts just as long with zero problems

For the Oil pressure gauge if it was me I would go steel braided line and they make a synthetic cover that goes over that should help. The cheapest place i found for an fittings and steel braided hose among other things would Speedway motors. As far as the oil temp gauge you could get shrink wrap to cover the lense or some type of plexi glass and somehow bond it to the fender or gauge.

You might want to find a mud bogger's forum or four drive forum and ask to see what they do to keep the mud off their gauges. You could try putting rain-x on the lense so it beads up that might help also.

yea i thought of getting the steel braided line for the oil pressure gauge. i think i will just so i have the added protection. ill i have to do some research to find a way to try and cover the front of the gauge. the mud never hurt anything on the face of the gauge its just annoying scrapping it out. im actually surprised that i havent scratched the glass of the gauge because i just take my finger and wipe the dirt out.

Looks good 91. Doesn't the temp gauge light up as well? I Always kinda wanted to install a temp gauge on my quad to.

what kind of gauge is it (manufacturer) and here did you get it ?

looks great!!

it looks like a Auto meter gauge. Summit racing might be your cheapest place. any auto part store should have or a local speed shop. I'm just curious is it a 2 1/8 or a 2 5/8 guage.

yea the temperature gauge did light up but the bulb just burned out after 4.5 years of service. but im getting a different style gauge in the future anyways to match the oil pressure gauge

the manufacturer is auto meter. its a 2 1/6" gauge auto meter part number 4932, its the new "ultra lite II" series with the through-the-dial LED lighting and thats why i want to upgrade my oil temperature gauge as well for it is just the original "ultra lite" series gauge with around-the-dial lighting which pretty much sucks. its part number is 4441. the gauge im going to get to replace the current oil temperature is 4932

the cheapest place i have found these gauges is ebay, the oil pressure gauge i got for christmas and my brother said he paid less than half the price of what summit wants because he just surfed ebay and found one someone was selling and got it dirt cheap still brand new. so ill be surfing ebay to find a cheap oil temperature gauge i want to get then im going to be completely done with gauges lol. it is a lot of research and time to find out what you need to make all this work but for some reason i wanted them and decided to do the mod.

ok one last video of it completely done. this was done yesterday morning and it was around 13 degrees out when i started it. i was surprised how well it starts with a good charged battery with an edelbrock carb with no choke. i also try to show how the gauges are tied into the oil cooler lines.

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo47/91warrior/?action=view&current=MVI_0763.flv

one last thing to note-that video was the first ride i took it one since i installed the gauge. once the engine got a little warm, the gauge was reading 20 psi. when my temperature gauge started to move off the 140 degree mark, the oil pressure gauge was only reading maybe 2 psi at idle, which kind of has me worried. right before i shut it off (at about 150 degree temperature wise) the highest reading i could get was maybe 10 psi at WOT. something does not seem right with that. ill have to try to think this through to see why there hardly any pressure when it gets warm, i understand the oil thins out as it gets warm, but i still would think it should have a little more pressure than that...

No skid??? and your running your lines on the bottom of the frame rail! Only a matter of time before you get snagged and you leaking like a 90yr old hooker. Your pretty mechanical, make yourself a skid Holmes. Also, you have them tapped into the exit or the return line? I hoped you tapped both into the return line.

yea never had a skid for the 6 years ive owned her. but i do need to get one, i need to stop buying other things for it lol (but the gauge was a gift so it doesnt count lol). i got them tapped into the exit line because i wanted to know how hot the oil was before the oil goes through the cooler and cooled off and back into the engine, thats the reason i tapped in to the exit line.

Back