New Engine rebuild.....wont run!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganrider

Reaction score
'95 Warrior new Weisco piston, just got it together. If I spray starting fluid in the carb it will fire (sometimes) and run for maybe 2 seconds and stall. The petcock is getting gas to the carb, but not sure what else it could be? When I look in the carb and give it gas, should I see it spray fuel? Because it doesn't seem like its getting gas. Please help. Thank you.

Is there a easy way to fix this? Or do I have to go through the entire carb again?

Not really sure I'm working on a polaris trailboss right now and I can't get it to start I know it has good spark, I have cleaned the carb, the boot is not cracked or in bad shape and fuel is getting to the carb. I'm not sure what to do about it.

first you can open the drain in the float bowl and see if gas runs out.... if it doesnt then you arent getting gas past the needle and seat... if it does run out then your not getting gas thru the jets... if you are getting gas thru the jets then it isnt the right amount... let us know what you find

Hey bud mine was doing the same thing. I finally figured out it was sucking air or getting to much air so it couldn't get the air fuel mix right.

UPDATE! So Ive been working on the trail boss and i got it to run, problem is it will only run if the idle is set high and when the idle set to where it will run its really hard to get into gear because its an automatic and the idle is set so high. So what do I need to do?

bomber315 said:
first you can open the drain in the float bowl and see if gas runs out.... if it doesnt then you arent getting gas past the needle and seat... if it does run out then your not getting gas thru the jets... if you are getting gas thru the jets then it isnt the right amount... let us know what you find
I was leaning towards the carb too. If I leave the petcock on, gas will leak out of the overflow. Don't remember it doing that before the engine rebuild. I'll take it all apart and clean everything and see what happens. Thanks.

michiganrider said:
I was leaning towards the carb too. If I leave the petcock on, gas will leak out of the overflow. Don't remember it doing that before the engine rebuild. I'll take it all apart and clean everything and see what happens. Thanks.

yeah either float hieght or your needle valve is stuck open... im gonna go with stuck open.... take the carb off and clean everythinging again and especially the needle and seat.... if you see any impurfections on the needle then its time for a new one... a rebuild kit never hurts but sometimes its just a piece of crap stuck o the needle or seat

You guys know your stuff! I took the carb apart and it was full of crap. I'm not sure where it came from...Anyway the jet looks pretty old and I can't get the inside completely clean. I guess I'll just spring for a carb kit. I checked my float height and it looks correct. 1/2" from the carb.

Hey on that trail boss i got it running good and rode it for about 30 minutes then it died. So i checked the plug and it was burnt pretty bad it was black and it didnt spark very good, so i took a wire brush to it and got it cleaned and now it makes really good spark. So the question is what can i do to make it not fowl the plug? Thanks.

Tyler said:
Hey on that trail boss i got it running good and rode it for about 30 minutes then it died. So i checked the plug and it was burnt pretty bad it was black and it didnt spark very good, so i took a wire brush to it and got it cleaned and now it makes really good spark. So the question is what can i do to make it not fowl the plug? Thanks.
lean it out a bit? untill it starts running better or till the plugs a brownish, tanish color

Ya i know that is what i was thinking. ^ but i dont know how. Does any one know how?

michiganrider said:
You guys know your stuff! I took the carb apart and it was full of crap. I'm not sure where it came from...Anyway the jet looks pretty old and I can't get the inside completely clean. I guess I'll just spring for a carb kit. I checked my float height and it looks correct. 1/2" from the carb.

Thats a good idea. Just go fresh, the only gasket they dont give you is the one for the cover of the throttle cable linkage.

Take it completely apart like it says in the tutorial and clean with soap and warm water and an old toothbrush or you could use carb cleaner but soap and water doesnt eat away the rubber. Also it would be good to get a can of dust off unless you have a compressor. Its best to blow air thru all the small ventricals of the carb.

Make sure everything isnice and tightly sealed and if this still doesnt work then you might just have a leak somewhere else.

Wait, wait, wait! Michiganrider? As in Mike? And now you've got a Warrior? lol That's cool! So you gonna come back and race next year? ;)

gasman said:
Wait, wait, wait! Michiganrider? As in Mike? And now you've got a Warrior? lol That's cool! So you gonna come back and race next year? ;)
No sorry, my name is Art. I guess there are a lot of riders in Michigan!

Back