New Addition

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatDaddyJames

Reaction score
2005 400EX. Runs Super. What a diffrence in power from the warrior! This thing is a hoss! One owner, looks almost brand new, and I gave $1500 for it. Title, tool kit, owners manual still in the plastic, and all the paperwork from original purchase plus all the service records! All it needs is back tires, fronts are 50% or better; and they are the original Ohtsu tires that came on it when it was new. The old guy didnt ride it very much as you can see, with exception of the small amount of mud that I got on it today.

IMG_20110203_145613.jpg

IMG_20110203_145629.jpg

IMG_20110203_145639.jpg

IMG_20110203_145653.jpg

IMG_20110202_140721.jpg

IMG_20110202_140705.jpg

I like the new body, and it has reverse! Got it yesterday afternoon, and already tore into the Carb today.... I could not get it to start this morning (20 degrees) at all... rolled it out of the truck and into the garage. To the internet I go. Remember seeing that Hondas were cold natured, researched and found to replace the pilot with a 40 or 42, stock was 38. Went to dealer and got both... but when I got back home I notice the 40s threads were totally diffrent than the 42, and the 40 wouldnt work. And that was the last 40 they had. So, I put in the 42, air screw at 2 turns out, put it all back together, and shazaaaam fires right up with absolutly NO choke.

Went back to dealer with the 38 that was in it, and the 40 they gave me and they ordered me a correct 40, which is what I am going to end up using. Kinda afraid the 42 will be a little rich at idle, especially when warmed up. While I was at the dealer I also picked up a 150 and the next two sizes (cant recall sizes) above that for it. Read that these were very lean lean from the factory (148/38) and suggested 150/40 on a completely stock bike. However it has a K&N, and baffle removed (until I can find a replacement, and not a slip on, just not into them.) Not sure what to do about the main. Gonna worry about it when the 40 pilot comes in. Main can be changed with carb on the bike, it has a access in the carb bowl, so its not gonna be to bad to swap in and out if needed.

Ordered my the rear tires from Rocky Mountain ATV, Dunlop KT390 radials at 39.99 a piece. Go ahead and flame me for not getting razors and spending the big bucks. But there wasnt a review of them of less than 4 stars.

Im glad I got the 400 instead 660, and all of the derivatives of the KFX. I read nothing but good things about how they were darn near bullet proof. Now the misses cant wait to go out and ride the area OHV parks. She has already said we are gonna use the boat one weekend and the quads the next and so on. Hell shes already made phone calls and been out looking at new trailers. i already know I am gonna come home and she is gonna have one in the drive.
Any one have or used the ones that have side load with ramp on the front, and ramp on the rear? Are they pretty good, or should I just get a 6x12. I think they will fit back to back on a 12, but not quite sure.

Last edited:
Long but good story on acquiring this thing.

I looked at probably 30 quads over a 150 mile radius from Sat to Wed. When I got a hold of this guy to go look at it, I could tell he was older. He said it aint a new one you hear? So I couldnt wait to see this thing, either its beat to death by grandkids, or its prob pretty nice. Hmm do I take the 132 mile gamble on it? Get there... wow I was suprised! He was right, it isnt new, but I wonder how many people didnt go look at it on account of his choice of words? and let it warm up. Start off slow getting a quick feel for it, and to let it still warm up. I did get a little harder on it but not too hard or anything. I wasnt gonna abuse it, its not even mine. I did want to make sure it was up to par mid throttle. The old guy said I got $2200 on it, Ill take 1800. Or what do you have on ya? I told him I got the 2200 now, and he stopped me and said "I have had everyone from 3 counties come look at it, but no one ever had any money, I got the ill be back, you wanna trade, or made me a ridiculous offer like $1500 and some ~BS~ story of how high tires were, or how it will need to get the motor taken apart and rebuilt cause I dont use it enough. They just thought I was an old fart that didnt know about anything. And since your the only feller that has showed up with any money... Ill let you have it for the $1500. I dont need the money, and You havent ~BSed~ me. You checked the oil in it and you gave it hell. I could tell you were serious about buying as soon as you introduced yourself. Ill be back with all the papers, you count me out $1500." I dint get a word in from the time he stopped me from talking and when he took off into the house. He came back with a manila envelope, and said this is everything, from when I paid cash for it up till now. I bought it, needless to say.

I ended up taking him to lunch afterwards too. So really, I spent another 65, but oh well, we ate steaks and drank some beers. Actually had a pretty good time. When we left from lunch we stopped by the honda/polaris dealer where his "good friend" was the owner. Low and behold this old guy had bought a brand new Razor S, lifted, winch, light bar on top, stereo, EVERYTHING you could get or do to one. Paid cash for it. He wanted to stop and see if they were finished putting everything on it for him yet. I took it for a spin, and man that thing is SWEET! He asked me if I would mind taking it to his house for him, he had also bought a new trailer with it as well. I said hell no... you just took 700 off that 4 wheeler thats in the back of my truck, its the least I could do! Thats when the owners friend told me about the back tires on it... apparantly his old trailer was really tall, and when hooked up to his truck the back end would be way higher than the front. when he let the gate down, that was covered by a sheet of plywood, he wouldnt get up enough speed and would get stuck there spinning... he was scared to go up it too fast. The owner guy said it was hilarious, everytime he brought it in for service, he wouldnt let anyone load it till he tried about 10 times. I could only imagine how long it took him at home to get it on there. He wouldnt ever let them pick it up. He took it it 3 or 4 times a year too. I have all the paperwork of all of it. Owner guy said he got the razor cause it would be more comfortable for him, and he could get out and ride his land more often on it.

When I came back from taking the razor for a spin, I walked in the service department door and the guy behind the counter said you bought his EX didnt you? I said I sure did. He said I wanted to buy it, I just couldnt come up with the money. That things is mechanically brand new, it may have 15 hours on it. If it had an hour meter on it, it would probably surprise you and me both. DING... I just got a almost brand spanking new one I thought! I have been trying to get him to get new tires on it the last couple of times hes been in, but he says Ill get around to that. It still starts and goes, when it quits going you will be the second to know. He told me that he had a new battery put in it at the end of Nov with the oil change. The old guy never told me anything about that, but low and behold, the last paper he handed me it was on there. All of the paperwork was in order from day 1 to last service, title and owners manual on top, in a file folder.

This thing set in his garage, heated and cooled. Prob why cold starts were never noticed, if it was ever used when it was cold out! He had a door opener clipped to the clutch/parking brake cables rigged up with a rubber band. That was something I have never seen before. Or ever will again for that matter.

It Doesnt get any sweeter than this!

Cool story man. Have fun with. I'm personally not a Honda guy, but those 400's sure are great quads.

Its hard to beat stories like this, congrats on the bargain.

That was a nice read and a good story. I always liked the 400ex.

This just goes to show how people try to get over on the older generation. I gotta friend out of the deal. He called me today to tell me he found the other key to it, and I am welcome anytime to come down and ride on his land. Sucks that its a little over a two hour ride down there. The misses and I are gonna head down that way tomm, he insists that he takes us to lunch. Were not taking the quads with us though. I think he is lonely, his wife passed away 6 years ago and he has no kids.

Back