needle setting??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysisk13

Reaction score
I was wondering what the point of the needle setting in the carb? Also, what exaclty does the needle do? My needle is set to the 4th notch and i have been told the stock position is the 3rd notch?

your on 4th notch from the top ? thats why you have that bog in mid throttle.... the needle seats in the main jets as you push the throttle it raises the needle to let more fuel in and the slide to let more air in

thought i should add that raising the needle clip leans the mix and lowering the clip richens the mix ....the needle also only affects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle positions

thought i should add that raising the needle clip leans the mix and lowering the clip richens the mix ....the needle also only affects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle positions

what do you mean the needle affects 1/4 and 3/4 throttle? no matter what is always will?

mine might have been cutting out at 1/4 throttle instead of half throttle. but more in the throttle it ran awesome!

sorry meant 1/4 to 3/4 not and lol... 4 notch down will make it rich in that 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range

the plug does look really rich i would move the clip to 3rd (stock) and get a new plug then do a plug chop like hauler and weston said

Last edited:
just wondering, why are there a 4th and 5th notch if its gonna bog out when you set it there?

room for adjusting for aftermarket add ons and bigger main and pilot jets and altitude differences

I see, welli do have a fmf exhuast and a K&N airfilter. but the stock main. Would that be why my needle was on the 4th notch?

what do you mean the needle affects 1/4 and 3/4 throttle? no matter what is always will?

Have you figured it out, yet?

If not, look at the needle, and notice how it is tapered. Meaning the sides are not parallel.

The needle fits inside of the main jet and fuel flows in-between the exterior of the needle and the interior of the jet. I guess that you could call it an imaginary doughnut.

As the throttle increases, you go from 1/3 throttle to 1/2 throttle, the thinner taper on the needle raises and creates a larger gap. More fuel flows.

The control of the gap/fuel is called metering.

So at 1/2 throttle, if you raise or lower the clip, it will determine on if you lean or richen the mix, at 1/2 throttle.

That's why people have been telling you that adjusting the clip, effects a certain throttle position. The taper might only slope between 1/3 to 7/8 throttle. And there are other needles, that have different slopes, diameters, curves, etc.

WOT will still be the same no matter where the clip is.

WOT fuel metering is determined by the diameter of the hole in the jet.

Once you get this understood, then you can learn how to read a plug and performance characteristics. They are, both, important in setting up a carb.

-Rhyno

just wondering, why are there a 4th and 5th notch if its gonna bog out when you set it there?

For that "Possibility" of needing more fuel.

There are a number of "reasons." (Altitude (or lack there of), air density, cubic centimeters(big bore kit), boost (super charger/turbo), alcohol, timing advance, etc.)

It's always nice to be able to adjust.

And I suspect it is just a manufacturing standard. As they are turning the needles on a lathe, it's probably easier to just "put a couple more notches in" than try to "Re-Tool" later.

These needles are used in more than just one carb, too.

-Rhyno

so would the 4th notch down from the top have anything to do with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxeO1u-GhoU

Way......I mean WAY too much fuel.

You have so much extra fuel, that the partially burned fuel is climbing the threads on the plug.

Not only could this be a needle position problem, but it also could be a float height problem. Too high of float height allows fuel to enter the intake via a liquid versus a vapor.

A clogged or partially clogged air filter can also cause too much fuel to enter.

-Rhyno

the needle cant compensate for the wrong main, thats for sure!

Yes it can, but it depends on the altitude, temp, density, etc.

I do it all the time, on my Warrior, my K5, and my welding machines, and my generator(s).

I jet my stuff for the lowest altitude that I "predict" that I will be. I use 3000 ft. 90% of the time I am between 5000 and 7000 ft.

I use a different needle and clip position to compensate for the "fat" jet.

My plugs look great, I get good MPGs (considering), they always start, always idle smoothly.

If I drop down to 3000ft, I raise the needle, and hang on, being that the mixture is leaner, because the oxygen is denser.

"Leaner is meaner."

It works for me.......

-Rhyno

well dang rhyno, do you work on warriors for a living? lol I will change the needle setting today and clean the airfilter also because the airfilter hasnt been clean since i got it, and the guy i got it off of didnt really take good care of anything he owned. I could just tell by talking to him. I have a new sparkplug too. I just changed the clutch yesterday and havent rode it yet. But after i get all that cleaned and changed i will take a pic or a video of the plug.

Back