need some help with a 87 warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opey16

Reaction score
I have a 87 warrior that i bought to fix up. i took the engine apart and put new valves and rings in. i put a fmf megmax exhaust on it and jetted the main jet up 5 in the carb. i also put a moose racing air filter in and i got it up and running. but i got a lil problem with power and speed....i got none of that. my top speed on it is only 45 and i cant even do a wheele in first sitting down. i was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas wat could be wrong...thx

5 up on the main jet is probably excessively rich for the megamax, especially if you're running with a stock airbox lid on. The megamax doesn't really flow much better than stock so 5 points on the main is a big jump. Running too rich can really hurt your power.

Are you sure you have the valve lash adjusted to spec? That'll hurt power if it's too far off base.

What sprocket combo are you currently running, and what size tires are on the back?

ok well ill go back to stock jet and on the back tires im running 22's on the back and my sprocket's are 15 40 or its 14 40 w/e stock is

Stock gearing is 13/40 on 22's. Your top speed will vary by conditions, but it should be faster than 45 for sure, at least 55. How are you checking it?

Are you comparing the power to another warrior, or do you just feel like it should be faster than it is? The warrior isn't a racer, it's not going to just pull the front end in the air from rolling on the throttle. It'll need a little more persuasion to get the front end up than some quads do, it's not particularly light in the front end.

i drove next to someone in a car and i was doing 43 to 45

Back