Need opinions on this mustang

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YFM2014

Reaction score
Okay, just found this on craigslist. Been thinking about it all day. I want it but I dont want to get sucked into a money pit, but I think if I get it and dont want it I could probably sell it for a profit... what do you guys think? http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/2573049234.html
The guy said that he would take 3500 for it pretty quickly so I think I could talk him to 3 pretty easy. Should I mess with it? Need some knowledgable people, but if u have an opinion I'll hear it :p
Oh and I'd be using it for a dd...

well I'm not by any means an expert, but I see the seat is tore up, it's not a # matching motor (the mustang v8 was a 289 back then)and I can't tell about the body. Can't say what is worth over there, but here they go for around that price, and if they are restored right they go for 15 to 20k

well I'm not by any means an expert, but I see the seat is tore up, it's not a # matching motor (the mustang v8 was a 289 back then)and I can't tell about the body. Can't say what is worth over there, but here they go for around that price, and if they are restored right they go for 15 to 20k
They go for around 3k or they go for around what the guy has it listed for... ? He said its in daily driver condition but not a show car and he said the hood and trunk is bondo-d cause it had some rust but idk what I'm gonna do. Might try buyin it if the floor panels and wheel wells arent rusted out and if I like it I'll keep it if I dont I'll sell it for hopefully a little profit
EDIT: And he said it used to be a 6 cylinder but it was changed to a v8 and the wheels were changed from 4 lug to 5 lug. Idk if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Idk what its worth because there arent many cars to compare it to... : \

It is the coupe body...which is not nearly as desirable as the fastback....
The finest example of the breed here can be bought for less than $9000...
and at that price it needs nothing....
If you can get it for $3500...that is not bad.....but Mustang interior is big $$$$$$
If you want a cool old car to drive yourself....that is cheap admission....but don't plan on making any money on it....as it will be a diminishing return......

Nine years ago I had a chance to buy a 67' 390 GTA fastback (Bullitt style) survivor w/67,000 miles on it for $7000....sat in a park garage in impound for 25 years.....it ran and I drove it...EVERYTHING was original but tattered....I figured the cost of restoration at about $9000 to restore to make a $20,000 car....and I kept walking....

It boils down to whether you want it for yourself.....

If I had wanted a GTA.....I would have jumped on it....

Peace,
Jebby

Thanks Jebby,
Yeah I know its not a fastback... if it was I'd be in love. And idk if I'm going to mess with it or not. I might just keep saving up and get a 99-04 GT like I've been looking for. This just seemed like a good buy which according to you it isnt. If it has no rust and isnt TOO bad on the inside than I might pick it up if I could get it for 3k or less due to the responses yall have given so far

Thanks Jebby,
Yeah I know its not a fastback... if it was I'd be in love. And idk if I'm going to mess with it or not. I might just keep saving up and get a 99-04 GT like I've been looking for. This just seemed like a good buy which according to you it isnt. If it has no rust and isnt TOO bad on the inside than I might pick it up if I could get it for 3k or less due to the responses yall have given so far

To put it into perspective...I can buy a 65' Coupe that is what I consider
rust free with above average paint and a 1990 5.0L F.I. conversion that is well done...maroon with clean black interior for $5500....
Would make an awesome daily driver...with the AOD trans it gets 23-24 MPG......but it would be just another thing in my way.....

Peace,
Jebby

That sounds like a good deal to me too. I guess I'll just forget about this stang... I couldnt afford to put any money into it to fix it up because I'd spend all my money just buying it. And what causes it to get such good MPG's my 98 v6 mustang is rated for like 18mpg and probably less with the way I drive

That sounds like a good deal to me too. I guess I'll just forget about this stang... I couldnt afford to put any money into it to fix it up because I'd spend all my money just buying it. And what causes it to get such good MPG's my 98 v6 mustang is rated for like 18mpg and probably less with the way I drive

Gas Mileage= Weight of Right Foot :tup:

To an extent. I'd probably get like 5mpg or less if that was the only factor ;)

I'd be somewhat fearful, especially if you're not into a driving restoration. Parts are "cheap" and very plentiful for the '65-68's, as far as resto parts are concerned. What the 2 concerns to me would be:
- The V8 conversion. So simple, but so easy to Mickey Mouse up.
- Rust. Not the rust that the untrained eye sees. These cars have issues with the cowl hats leaking (base of windshield where the interior cold air is drawn from). They are difficult to repair, even for an experienced dude. Frame rust, rear shackle mounts, rocker panels, etc... structural stuff... not fun. You would be really, really lucky if this car does not have at least one of these issues.

Unseen, this car would only be a deal at $1000-1500, max. It's still a "T" code, 6 banger. That kills resale big time, no matter what's under the hood.

Pass.

Now Jebby's GTA deal... I'da been all over that one like flies on you know what...:)

If your looking for a daily driver get a EFI equiped mustang. 87-93 fox body 5.0, 94-95 sn-97 5.0, and 96 and up have the 4.6, except for the new 2011 5.0's. EFI will be much much better for daily driver and more reliable. Not to mention better gas mileage if all the sensors and what not are in good shape. FYI If the guy says it has bondo on the hood and trunk lid cause of rust, thats a given to back away. He obviously doesnt know how to fix the rust the right way and cobbed it to hell. Just my opinion.

If your looking for a daily driver get a EFI equiped mustang. 87-93 fox body 5.0, 94-95 sn-97 5.0, and 96 and up have the 4.6, except for the new 2011 5.0's. EFI will be much much better for daily driver and more reliable. Not to mention better gas mileage if all the sensors and what not are in good shape. FYI If the guy says it has bondo on the hood and trunk lid cause of rust, thats a given to back away. He obviously doesnt know how to fix the rust the right way and cobbed it to hell. Just my opinion.
Hey 87! Long time! I imagine that fox body of yours is quite a way along by now haha I'll send you a pm. But thanks for the advice everyone. My mind is telling my no but my hear keeps telling me yes.
Its tempting but I think I'm just gonna leave it alone. Love the classic style, but like everyone said, too many possible problems and I need more of a modern model to be a reliable daily driver without too much worry.
Regardless, thanks for the quick responses and useful information/opinions. Thats why I still stop by from time to time even though the warrior is gone :(

Back