need mod suggestions!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wv03warrior

Reaction score
I know there are many threads on here but I wanted your opinion on my bike that already has a few mods.
I have a pro circuit t-4 slip on, uni air filter w adapter and standard air lid.
I have it jetted but it doesn't idle properly so I'm considering putting the stock back in until I do some more work on it.
Im Thinking of getting a PowerPoint header but some think they are a waste of money? a loca local bike shop told me it's not idling right because I only have a slip on..

I'm really looking for some more bottom and mid range power. I do a lot of thick wood tight trial riding.
I'm thinking about putting around $1,000 into it. I was considering a bigger cam.

Thanks in advance!

I forgot to ask. Can I put a hot came stage 1 in with just the mods I have? or do I need to other stuff? Ie. Open air box, upgrade header?

That "wont idle because of a slip on" is bullshit. Makes no difference. Most of us are running slip ons. It's not idling because it is ether fuel/carb problem, igintion issue, or air intake problem. What you need to do is see how well the air/fuel mixture is burning, by inspecting the condition of the spark plug.

Both cams Bones stated are great for all around power and woods grinds. Web does say that HD springs are required. The Hotcam is nearly identical, and doesn't require HD springs. Is there a big difference between the two? Doubtfull, but, talk to guys that have run both. Invest your money wisely into the bike. They need help in the handling department. 1k dollars can go a long way if you wait or track down good deals. Some better a arms, shocks, tires, etc... And you'll think you have a whole new bike. I just posted a link to BRAND NEW Works front shocks in the Web Deals section.

It is hard to beat the stock header because it is so damn big. You do get some nice stainless steel headers from FMF and a couple others. But, power gain wise, not much. Open up the air box or get one of Weston's intake set ups. That is money well spent right there. More air = the need for more fuel. More air AND fuel = more power. And all you have to do with the S1HC is install a new (or re-use) outer bearing, and swap out the cams. If you plan to do the vito's key get a new timing chain. DID and Yamaha chains both last. You're right there so you are better to spend the $40(ish) on the chain now, then tear it apart again later.

I'm with Bones on the increase on power best money spent is the cam.
I run the web88 (390). Very nice cam, I ran the hc1 for a while also. It to is a nice cam.
That's what I would do if I wanted quick easy engine power. Easy install and setup. And at the price of about $125 it's worth it.
Tire size and gearing are a big factor on bottom end woods riding.

With all that said $1000 to spend the sky is the limit. Research research research. I've tried a lot of combinations of parts most of which I sent to friends if I didn't want them.
Just a thought though look at creature comforts too. All of the power in the world is worthless if your bike wears you out or sucks to ride. Just a thought.

Listen to Pat too

Last edited:
The great things about these bikes is (not only being fun and easy to work on) is that aftermearket parts are STILL availible and are VERY affordable. You can have the most heavily modded warrior for nearly half what you would have in a 400 and FAR less then a 450. 1 grand can get you +2 a arms, shocks, cam, vito's key, re-gear it, atleast rear tires, and good bunch of nic-nacs/comfort stuff.

A lot of guy that have been on here a long time wish their engines were still stock for reliability reasons. Valid point for sure, so if your not mechanically inclined you may also want to consider that when making large power purchases.
From what has been explained so far, I don't really see anything that would effect that.

The whole power vs reliability thing can almost be a mute point. I never had any issues with my old engine's set up, and I don't think (although fingers are crossed) that there will be any probs with the stroker set-up. All in buying quality parts, QUALITY machine work, and quality assembly/mechanics. If you don't have those 3 ingrediants your food will suck...

Thanks guys, this is a great starting point for my research and looking for good deals. Any suggestions where to look other than eBay?
Very good point Sparky, honestly I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I can do pretty much all of what was mentioned. and I def don't want to make my quad in reliable.
I never really considered suspension before. Guess I'll add that to the list. I'm selling my drz400 in a few weeks, so I have until then to make my final decisions

Check on here every once in awhile to see what guys are selling. Get a DRW airbox

And check dkebay.com that is Denniskirks ebay store for returned or overstock/outdated parts. It's hit or miss if you find any parts specifically for your bike, but the deals are killer. Just like those shocks I posted in the Web Deals section. Those are forsale on ebay from Denniskirk, and are triple rate WORKS with remote mount ressies. For a starting bid of $300!!!!! That is more then half off. Those are probably close to $700 shocks! I'm tempted to buy them and sell my 1st gen WORKS at steelers.

Here's what I have that are the big engine and chassis upgrades for what I paid
A arms- 200
Works- 300
Banshee- 60
Axle- 200
Tires- 200
Filter- 60
Yosh with powerbomb- 200
Carb, cam, head- 150
Je piston- 120
The powerbomb doesn't do much

Here's what I have that are the big engine and chassis upgrades for what I paid