Need help NO SPARK

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesnut84

Reaction score
New to forum Just picked up a 1996 warrior, This is the story I got...They were riding it and it started to run bad followed by not running at all. Got it home to find no spark. The pos + battery terminal broke and was sparking on the frame and fried something or things. They had put a new cdi in the quad and still no spark. He got frustrated put it away and it sat for awhile. I don't know how long. I bought it figured it would be easy enough.I put a new stator and pickup coil from caltric on it. Still no spark I have looked for obvious problems like fried or broken wires and see nothing. Can someone give me ideas of something I may be overlooking thanks

try swapping the 2 wires around in the pick up coil plug and or source coil plug coming from stator sometimes the caltric stators are wired backwords
keep the wires with the plug they are in but switch wires around if you know what I mean

And also check the harness for any melted grounds or any wires for that matter

Well I tried swapping both source and pickup coils in every combination possible(keeping them in there original plug.Ive replaced the ignition coil.Pulled the run switch apart and all looked good I cont really know what to do from here.The only idea i have left is finding a running bike near me and putting my cdi on that bike to test it.Am I overlooking something stupid? If anyone has an idea please let me know

Check all over your wires see if there are ant that are bare or broke and check all connections. Also check your keyway on your fly wheel to make sure it isn't sheared.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

ohm out ignition coil, they rarely go bad but its possible. and never ever ever buy the $10 ones on ebay they suck

Ok couple things here. First look all connections over, from grounds to plugs, look for frayed/rubbed thru wires. I hate to say it to, ohm the stator. Ive seen the one you bought be bad out of the box, for me stator wise is OEM or RMstator only. Ive rarely ever seen CDI's and Ignition coils be bad, usually a wiring or stator issue.

I am pretty confident that all the wires are ok. I ohmed out the stator and got 300 for source coil, .8 for all 3 of the white wires and 334 for the pickup soil. Ive read two different specs for the pu coil 171-209 and 300 to 500. Is this stator good at these numbers. Or is there possible grounds i am overlooking?And in the meantime i installed a new ign. coil

Ok thanks so tomarrow im going to check my old pickup coil and if it ohms out in spec I will swap them. If that is the case should i just splice the functional one in, in place of the bad one? I know thats kind of a stupid question but is the only way to swap it involve cutting the wires?

Another question is when i checked the ebay link above it was for a pu coil that says 500 ohms.
So if i were to use that one isnt the one i have already closer to spec being that it reads at 334 ohms...not trying to argue i am just cofused

Last edited:
Ok so I tested the pickup coil with meter on AC and I get an intermittent pulse of current(when i turn engine over). Could it still be bad? In addition to that I pulled the wire harness and checked continuity of every last wire.(all ok) So I went ahead and ordered a new cdi.Is there anything i need to know about putting the new one on? I read somewhere I cant have the battery hooked up and the stator disconected or it will fry the cdi.Is there any truth to this. And if my PU coil is bad whats the best way to get one that is in spec. The link above is for one that is 500ohms and i need one in the 171-209 range. Today the new cdi should be in... Wish me luck

Update: Installed new cdi didndt get spark at first with caltric stator tried the other stator got weak spark.would not even ignite starting fluid.Then i remembered i did not try swapping pu coil wires on caltric stator so i went ahead and swapped back to the caltric then reversed the pu coil wires. BAMM beautiful blue spark!!!! YAY........for a min... Installed plug got it to pop once then NO SPARK(may get one spark now and again) went back to the old stator just for troubleshooting purposes and got the same weak spark. So id say the caltric stator failed. Havent touched it since.Caltric is not responding like i expected through ebay. If i dont get a replacement im guna try new source coil with old pu coil.I see no one is responding so at this point im just venting I guess. I guess I can say progress!!!!

Check your neutral switch and wire connection. bottom shifter side of motor

All fixed had her running last night. It was stator and cdi from the start... thanks guys

That is good to hear. When it first fired up I bet ya wanted to do a dance. That's what I did...haha

Back