Need FIRST HAND opinions on what shocks to run....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmr931

Reaction score
My girlfriend recently purchased a 2002 Warrior. Its in good shape, but I have been doing some minor modifications and upgrades to bring the thing into the 21st century. The rear shock seems to be shot, its very saggy. I havent tried adjusting it yet, but im leaning towards just replacing it. The front shocks seem to be in good working order, but they dont provide the solid feel and dampening that the stockers on my kfx400 provide. I have read that the banshee shocks are a direct bolt on all the way around, but that they dont offer much improvement in ride quality and that the travel is actually shorter than the stock warrior shocks. Is that true? I have also read that a 2001 raptor 660 rear shock bolts right up and is a giant improvement over stock, but only for heavier riders. My girlfriend weighs about 120, will the raptor shock be too stiff? Does it HAVE to be from a 2001? I read that it did because it doesnt have the reservoir built onto the shock body. Will raptor 660 front shocks work?

Basically, what suspension setup would you recommend for a 120lb female rider? She doesnt ride all that aggressively, and definitely doesnt jump the bike. I just want suspension on their that works properly, has plenty of travel, and provides good dampening. This is strictly a trail bike. What do you all think would be the best setup for a small amount of money?

oh and ideally, im looking for input from people who have FIRST HAND experience with the different set ups, not "my brothers friend said he heard" type responses. Thanks

ideally aftermarkets would be best, but are expensive. though if you watch ebay you can find them cheaper. heres some links to threads:
http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19456
http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15071
i know theres more on here but that should be a good start, ill keep looking and add more because a bunch of people in the past have done shocks.

and one more: http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15252&highlight=shocks
and your probably seen this but just in case:http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20441

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you from experience. I have ran, stockers, Banshees, WORKS and what I now have, Fox Float R's.

Stockers just suck, plan and simple. If your planning on using the warrior as it was intended-sport utility quad, they will work just fine.Have a good solid ride, such as a utility is. But most warrior guys want the warrior to be more or all sport. Banshee is a really quick and cheap upgrade. Plusher ride, nice and smooth. Downside is that it might be too soft for a heaver person, especially in the cornering. Geometry of the bike, and everyone knows banshees are good at going straight. For your light G/F, this might be a great setup. I run a banshee rear and freakin love it! huge improvement over stock and having the ability to slightly adjust the damping on a relatively cheap upgrade is a big bonus! Never tried the 660 rear, I don't like that it raises the travel angle.

WORKS are a big step from banshees, but still cheap in the scheme of shocks. they offer duel or tripper rate and even rezzy packages and can be serviced to rider weight and riding style. Really quality product for the price. Nice smooth ride and great damping in the rough stuff.

What I run now, Fox Float R. I personally think are the best hands down as far as comfort and service and condition goes. Riding on air is just as it sounds, freakin smooth and as plush as they come. Having the ability to change damping because of rider weight or condition, all by hand and in a matter of seconds it clutch! Huge money saver and a one up on competition.

Ive also ridden on other quads with shocks from many different company's. GT thunder shocks are common in my local circuit and they do great work, but I have never ridden a GT thunder shock on a warrior so that is obsolete, you need the quad geometry to come into play to feel the real benefit.

Hope that helps.

yea that does help a lot. I think im just going to go with the banshee rear. i dont like the way the 660 changes the suspension angle either, and she doesnt have enough experience to appreciate a high dollar aftermarket setup. Her front shocks seem to be in descent shape, would we notice any improvement with banshee front shocks, or should I just leave the stockers on there?

I run an aftermarket banshee rear shock, its an ohlins and i run wicked a-arms with yfz450 stock fronts... i'm telling you the thing rides just as good as my buddy's quad with the fox float evo's up front and a fox podium in the rear....so my opinion would be go with a banshee( you will have to modify you airbox a small amount to clear the resevour) and if it is too stiff or soft you can get it revalved.

Kyler, you men you got your banshee rebuilt by ohlins, or is it an ohlins shock?

I have a busted front shock and they both have Works performance on them. I am thinking about just buying two used banshee shocks to replace them with because I am not trying to spend a couple hundred dollars for a shock replacement. When buying used banshee shocks, I know any year will work but you have to send them somewhere for a tuneup right?

As far as the rear shock, I was looking into a Raptor 660 shock but was wondering if any year Banshee rear will work? Same deal with being sent out and tuned up?

How can I tell if my rear shock now is stock because the previous owners have definitely tampered with it but I can't get a hold of all of them. I'd hate to buy another rear and see it has already been changed.

Thanks.

I have a busted front shock and they both have Works performance on them. I am thinking about just buying two used banshee shocks to replace them with because I am not trying to spend a couple hundred dollars for a shock replacement. When buying used banshee shocks, I know any year will work but you have to send them somewhere for a tuneup right?

As far as the rear shock, I was looking into a Raptor 660 shock but was wondering if any year Banshee rear will work? Same deal with being sent out and tuned up?

How can I tell if my rear shock now is stock because the previous owners have definitely tampered with it but I can't get a hold of all of them. I'd hate to buy another rear and see it has already been changed.

Thanks.

hey send me a pic of your fronts and rear i might be able to help figure it out. hows the one front shock broke.

WORKS will rebuild your fronts for a decent price. and buying banshees would be a step backwards.

Banshee rear on any year will bolt right on, you will need to mod you air box but that's easy. No need to get it rebuilt if it isn't blown but if you do opt to get it trebuilt, I'd be like having a competitive rear shock.

Here is a picture of the supposed busted on, looks pretty rough like a seal maybe broke?

http://img87.imageshack.us/i/frontshock.jpg/

frontshock.jpg

Here is one of the rear shock, stock or not?

http://img842.imageshack.us/i/rearshock.jpg/

rearshock.jpg

Don't think the pictures worked haha, so I put the link too.

Now when you said they will rebuild for a decent price, how decent are we talking? Haha, I guess I will be calling tomorrow.

I also should state that my other shock looks perfectly normal. I guess if I get one rebuilt I should do the other too though or it will be set differently?

Last edited:
Back