need back shock

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98warrior

Reaction score
my back shock is completely done for so its time to get a new one, but i was wondering where the cheapest place is to get a new one. i can afford a new elka but...i think if i would get elka's i would get them for the front only. i dont care if the back shock is oem or aftermarket just as long as its new.

Well, how much are you looking to spend? Because to me it doesn't make sense to spend $300 on a brand new factory replacement shock that isn't very good to begin with, even when brand new. I say your best bet if you want a shock that is like new, get the cheapest used banshee shock you can find on ebay, because there's a guy on ebay that has an exchange program where he sends you a banshee shock that has been completely chromed, polished, and also rebuilt to factory specs. Not only will you be getting a shock that's better than the stock one in performance and looks, you will also still probably be spending about the same or even less money than the so-so stock replacement. I estimate that you can get an older banshee shock for about $50 shipped, and it doesn't really matter what the condition is because it's an exchange program, and it's completely rebuilt anyways.

If you're not crazy about that idea, you could also get a Works Quadstar rear shock for about $500, which for the extra $200 over a new stock one you get a shock that performs infinitely better than the stock one. It'll ride smoother than the stock shock, offers more adjustability, and under aggressive riding it'll be more stable and forgiving if you make a mistake or push your limits a little too far.

2001 Raptor is better than the Banshee by far

Did you actually have both to compare them? Because I have the 2001 raptor shock and i'm not at all impressed by it, i don't find it to be that much better than the stock one, and for all the trouble it caused me it wasn't worth it. I don't know if people are just exaggerating how good the raptor shock is, or if I ended up with a bum shock, but it doesn't have any leaks or other visible damage so i think the shock is working normally.

No,my friend I have not-I only have my own shock`s performance to go by.I can tell you,as well as every one else,that mine works very well,with no problems at all.It is a little longer than the banshee shock,so that the shock has more travel than the banshee shock,that (seems) to make for a better ride,and I think that that is a big upgrade over a stock Warrior shock.Banshee`s have not been redisigned ever,since they were released(now they are extinct)and the 660 Raptor was introduced in 2001.That fact alone tells the average guy that it prob is a better designed machine.

Just my opinion

Just by the fact that the raptor is a newer and more advanced machine made me think that the shock would perform way better too, but i've had all kinds of issues with my raptor shock. I just can't seem to get anything dialed in to how I like it. No matter where the preload is, that extended travel makes the back end sit higher to raise the center of gravity. It also screwed up the chain alignment enough that either the chain is too loose when the suspension is unloaded, or gets completely tight when the suspension is compressed, and neither of those things is something you want to have. The warrior's rear suspension just wasn't designed to travel any more than the stock shock allowed.

I've rode banshees and thought their suspension felt very smooth and refined, at least compared to a stock warrior, and given that the suspesnion geometry of the warrior and banshee is so similar, I have to assume that the better ride and performance has to be due to a better designed shock.

Just by the fact that the raptor is a newer and more advanced machine made me think that the shock would perform way better too, but i've had all kinds of issues with my raptor shock. I just can't seem to get anything dialed in to how I like it. No matter where the preload is, that extended travel makes the back end sit higher to raise the center of gravity. It also screwed up the chain alignment enough that either the chain is too loose when the suspension is unloaded, or gets completely tight when the suspension is compressed, and neither of those things is something you want to have.

I've rode banshees and thought their suspension felt very smooth and refined, at least compared to a stock warrior, and given that the suspesnion geometry of the warrior and banshee is so similar, I have to assume that the better ride and performance has to be due to a better designed shock.
Seems we both have valid points of view.I have a aluminum air box-I def would not cut that thing up for the Banshee rezzie

It`s too bad about the chain problems that you had,I have had zero problems with mine

Maybe it's because of the 87's longer swingarm that you don't have problems with the chain alignment? Maybe not, I don't remember anybody else with the raptor shock mention problems with the chain adjustment either.

What do you have your preload set at (like approximately how far is the adjustment rings from the top of the threaded part), and how do you adjust the slack in your chain?

No,my friend I have not-I only have my own shock`s performance to go by.I can tell you,as well as every one else,that mine works very well,with no problems at all.It is a little longer than the banshee shock,so that the shock has more travel than the banshee shock,that (seems) to make for a better ride,and I think that that is a big upgrade over a stock Warrior shock.Banshee`s have not been redisigned ever,since they were released(now they are extinct)and the 660 Raptor was introduced in 2001.That fact alone tells the average guy that it prob is a better designed machine.

Just my opinion

The 660R shock is not better, it changes the geometry of the whole rear end, it may add an inch of travel but what you sacrafice just doesnt make sense. The increased length, causes excess wear on the chain rollers, swing arm bearings and carrier bearings, the added shock length never lets you properly adjust your chain. In order to have a good shock set-up you have to maintain the stock length which keeps the chain and everything the same as stock. The banshee shock is also very slightly longer but not as much as the rappy shock.

Both are improvements but i can see the rappy shock causing problems down the road, not to mention the cost of a rappy shock is nearly double on ebay, and requires grinding and etc to fit where for the banshee shock all you need to do is heat the bottom of the airbox and bend it.

Yes,my swingarm is longer(87),plus all my parts are new.I have the shock at 10 clicks out,I am 200 lbs. and air out at only 6 feet max,usually ;DI have all UPP chain rollers and a slide,and a $40 DID chain.So my stuff is all good.As I said earier I would not cut into my aluminum air box for anything.My 660 shock cost me $80 shipped.Do you remember the whole Speedy ripoff fiasco?It`s not so easy to get a deal on one of these anymore.Any way if you all paid attention to any of my mods you would know that they are all thought out well in advance,I don`t cut corners,but I don`t have alot of coin to spend either(family,etc.)
So I am really happy with my set-up,I don`t ride your quad and you don`t ride mine,so I guess you will have to take my word for what it`s worth.I don`t show off,just trying to help some of you other guys out.After all,I have learned things along the way.

Yes,my swingarm is longer(87),plus all my parts are new.I have the shock at 10 clicks out,I am 200 lbs. and air out at only 6 feet max,usually ;DI have all UPP chain rollers and a slide,and a $40 DID chain.So my stuff is all good.As I said earier I would not cut into my aluminum air box for anything.My 660 shock cost me $80 shipped.Do you remember the whole Speedy ripoff fiasco?It`s not so easy to get a deal on one of these anymore.Any way if you all paid attention to any of my mods you would know that they are all thought out well in advance,I don`t cut corners,but I don`t have alot of coin to spend either(family,etc.)

So I am really happy with my set-up,I don`t ride your quad and you don`t ride mine,so I guess you will have to take my word for what it`s worth.I don`t show off,just trying to help some of you other guys out.After all,I have learned things along the way.

Im not bashing im just saying, its impossible to keep the chain tight, when the shock is all the way out and you adjust your chain it gets slack when compressed. The 87 may be diffrent.

Nope........87 works the same way. The chain is tighter when the shock is all the way up and looser when compressed. I,ve heard some complaining about eating the lower chain rollers off with the raptor shock............Maybe ya might be better off to toss the lower roller if possible. It may help with the chain slack problems.

ive got a banshee shock that was revalved and rebuilt ZPS style by PEP,set up for a 175-185 lb MX rider.....it has preload and compression adjustment....im just over 200 lbs and it worked real good for me. ....im only lookin to get 150 out of it. PM me if yer interested

Back