Need a shave in the front (Moto 4)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukacola

Reaction score
So I flipped my front wheels for a wider stance and I love the new look. Now the tires rub the mud flaps. I take off one mud flap to check it again. Now it's rubbing the actual plastic fender.

What do you guys do to shave fenders a bit? I have a dremel and all the bits for it.

I'm thinking tape off or use a marker and draw the design, then use the sharpest edge on the dremel. Then use the one of the polish or sanding edges to make it look clean.

I don't know whether to leave the mud flaps on and shave them too or not.

Opinions/advice? That damn mud flap is always in my way of my foot shift anyway.

AcW0apl.jpg

If you go through a lot of mud and water I would not recommend removing the mud flaps and part of the fender. I took my moto 4 225 through mud and water one time without mud flaps and went and made mud flaps for it because I got soaked. The mud flaps make more of a difference than you would think.

Last edited:
I think I might shave the fenders a little for now and take the flaps off.

If I get too muddy (don't really care if I do) then I'll shave the mud flaps to match and put them back on!

Is the razor knife the way to go? Or should I go the easy route and just use my dremel? HMMM...

it ain't 4 wheelin if ya aren't getting wet and muddy!
Haha those moto 4's still get you muddy enough. I should find the picture of my dad and I after riding a trail down the road. I was on the moto 4 and my dad was riding his Kawasaki 400 and you couldn't tell what color shirt we had on or what color the quad's were...

I think I might shave the fenders a little for now and take the flaps off.

If I get too muddy (don't really care if I do) then I'll shave the mud flaps to match and put them back on!

Is the razor knife the way to go? Or should I go the easy route and just use my dremel? HMMM...
The dremel will leave a really rough finish and you would have to sand it down a lot after you are done. I agree with yamahauler, the heat gun and razor blade would work better.

I'd put the rims back and not mess with anything! If anything get some better tires for the front..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

I'd put the rims back and not mess with anything! If anything get some better tires for the front..

Yeah the front tires are kinda shitty, but it's a 2wd so they are just for turning... I don't know. Just thinking cheap (FREE) mod for better handling.

It's a little tippy with the big tires on the back and it was so skinny in the front compared to that...was looking like a trike!

Yea but the front end on that won't last long I know I have a moto 4 and there front ends are weak and very little travel. Buy a wider tire would be the cheapest cause your gonna ruin the front end..

heat gun and razor knife does the cleanest cut

How would you work the heat gun (which I don't have one) and razor knife to shave some plastic? Got any links to videos or anything? I'm assuming you heat it up and then start cutting.

Yea but the front end on that won't last long I know I have a moto 4 and there front ends are weak and very little travel. Buy a wider tire would be the cheapest cause your gonna ruin the front end..

They're a 25x8x12 in front. You think a wider tire would be better than the spacing out?

Yeah I'll look at 24's". See what I come up with. What exactly is weak about the front end that won't support the wide stance? And is that something I can upgrade?

Yeah I'll look at 24's". See what I come up with. What exactly is weak about the front end that won't support the wide stance? And is that something I can upgrade?

Its just not good for it not made for that and I don't think there's any upgrades..

Need to decide:
Get 25x10x12 matching tires for the front (same swamplites) or stay with the free mod of keeping the wheels flipped!!!

With the wheel flip I lose my mud flaps and have to cut the fenders up front and possibly damage the front end.

Either way have to spend some money. With the wheels flipped a tie rod end set (seems to be the most common problem in doing a little research) costs $100. That's IF that would be the only problem with the suspension. I'm no expert on what else could go wrong there.

Or just spend the $180 on tires that have more traction and are 2" wider.

* I just love the wide stance and going even wider up front won't help me cuz of steering issues.

I think I did see some wheel spacers on ebay for the Moto 4. Would those do anything to help? They also have some tougher tie rod ends that are 12 mm heavy duty vs the 10mm stock ones.

Last edited:
Back