need a lil help guys

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xj4m3

Reaction score
ive been having starting issues for several months now and cant figure it out. The warrior will not start on its own, only with a 40 amp charge from the charger. It is getting tons of spark, fuel and air. It will crank and crank and crank but no start. If you hook up the charger on 40 amp it will start before you can let off of the start button. it will also start immediatly if it has been running for awhile but only when its warm. everything seems to work properly and im stumped. any ideas?

My brother had the same problem with his machine, it turned out to be a bad battery.
Does it roll over really slowly without the charger on it?

Likely the battery. When mine was bad you could start it right after killing it because it kept a charge for a few minutes, but it wouldn't even crank after that.

battery shows that its good and it will crank just perfectly forever. Valve clearances were set less than 5 hours of ride time ago. i also found out today that if pushed or pulled it will start that way also. Stator and cdi are new w/i the 10 hrs of ride time. I guess i just dont understand with the amount of spark and fuel it has why it wont start.

solenoid is fine, i dont think it would crank if it were bad. I also replaced that about a year ago

i messed with it again tonight and went over all the wiring, checked timing, valves etc. I still cant find anything. I cranked on it forever trying different things and still nothing but as soon as i put the charger on it on 40amp it fired immediatly. I just dont understand why it will not start, it has tons of spark is getting plenty of fuel. its like theres no fire once the plug is in and tight but everynow and then it coughs out of the intake.

Another idea, did you ohm out the coil, stator, and pickup coil to see if those are all close to spec? Just throwing ideas out there.

it does have an aftermarket cdi from ricks motorsports on it, probably has less than 10 hrs run time on it. and no i havent specd everything out yet i plan to do so this weekend when my buddy brings his ohmmeter home from work. this has completely got me baffled

i will plan on checking the stator tomorrow but since theres no testing for the cdi ill guess its that if nothing else shows bad. If one of those were bad there wouldnt be any spark though right?

Aftermarket CDIs are known to cause starting issues if the battery isn't 110% fully charged. If that voltage drops just a little bit the aftermarket cdi like you have probably isn't getting enough power to put out the proper spark. Do you still have the original one or was that bad?

All of the cheaper aftermarket CDIs you can buy for the warrior are all made in the same factory with different stickers on them. If you look at some of them you will actually see a note that you need a fully charged battery to start with one of these cdi's, I know rockymountain atv has that warning on the Big Gun cdi, and that's the same thing as yours.

I'd be willing to bet that's where your problem lies.

very possibly could be, the old one was toast for sure so i know i cant change them out. I dont know of anyone around here who has a warrior that i could change one out on either. Is the dyna really the only option for a decent cdi that will last?

I had the same problem had to change the cdi and stator just got it working on friday as soon as i installed the stator fired right up. I used a stock cdi from ebay $125 and a $150 ricky stator

Back