My warrior blew,help splitn cases

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddy

Reaction score
my warrior yesterday decided to croak,when i was riding it,it was actually running good and then all the sudden its like someone pushed the back brakes and slowed down and had a harder time moving then it shutoff and when i tried to start it the starter couldn't move it so i came to the conclusion that my crankshaft and/or rod decided to go,i pulled both clutch cover and stator,flywheel off,and it doesn't look to bad around there except for the flakes everywhere,so i gotta split the cases and see what happened and while there off i have another cs cover to switch the one thats got a hole in it from a chain break in the past,so i was wondering if you can pull the engine off while the head is intact,i don't think it was effected(hopefully) since it sounded like it was low-end damage,i guess ill go and get a hot rod crankshaft to make it a 400 hopefully it'll work with my 84mm piston from weisco any help wud be great....thx

Oddy, you will have to pull the head, and cylinder out to split the cases.(i think that was your question)
Also, if you are getting the hotrods stroker crank (396cc kit), you MUST use thier piston, otherwise if you want to keep your piston, you will have to just go with the stock replacement crank.

i wont be able to use my 84mm weisco piston? that sux i didnt know that...so if i do get a hot rod crank ill have to get their piston kit? those are like 255$ not counting crank...great not sure what ima do now...i figured since my crank went out that id get an aftermarket one...

You can still get Hotrod's crank, but it will be the stock stroke, which you WILL be able to use your existing piston. But a 396cc stroker you won't have.....

Apparently those metal flakes were a big deal.

According to Hot Rods, you do not have to use their piston to use their stroker crank. The only difference is their piston's wrist pin is set three and a half millimeters higher so the piston doesn't contact the head. If you use your own piston, then you would need to use a spacer (prob 3.5 mm but ask hot rods to be sure) at the base of the jug for the same reason. Also, because of the spacer, you will need a slightly longer cam chain. I couldn't find it on their website, but in order for their kit to give you 396cc with a plus 7mm stroke, their piston would have to be 84mm too. (displacement =stroke*pi*r^2) so it may benefit you to buy their piston since it should fit without much additional machining, depending on the cost of a custom base spacer plus custom timing chain. But either way, you will still get 396cc of displacement.
I'm thinking of getting their stroker crank too, but I want to use a bigger piston than 84mm so if you go that route, let me know how the base plate and timing chain works out and how much it is.

you may be able to contact http://www.fourstroketech.net/ or http://www.cycleworksracing.net/ for help with the timing chain and spacer. they both offer stroker kits, and if I'm not mistaken (which I may be because I'm not very familiar with their kits) I think they both would need the spacer and timing chain. So they may be able to get you one.

I was thinking of using cycleworks 410cc bore kit along with hotrods stroker crank, which should get me about 450cc's. I still gotta do some more homework to make sure it will work well though

Seeing as he's not willing to spend the 255 on their piston, i highly doubt that he's willing to outsource a spacerplate , camchain, and longer head bolts.........
The whole point of the Hotrods Stroker set up is that it's a "drop in kit", with no machining required.

Money's gonna be spent regardless of what route he takes. It's just a matter of which is more, the hotrods piston, or a metal plate, timing chain and head bolts. A stock timing chain can be had for less than 50 bucks. I can't imagine that one with one extra link could be more than twice that. as for the plate, I really have no idea. but it would have to be pretty expensive for him to not come out cheaper that way. Especially since he'll have to at least have the cylinder re-honed if he gets a new piston. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the final authority on this by any means. He needs to call these guys and find out for himself what's gonna work best for him.

Added: Another thing you could do is use a shorter rod. Since the stroke is 7mm longer the rod would need to be 3.5mm (half the added distance) shorter. Powroll apparently has a method of shrinking the rods to fit their kits, so you may be able to talk to them. Or if anyone knows where you can buy a shorter rod, you could do that too.

Back